Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sika Show Competition results and future changes (Read 680 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Sika Show Competition results and future changes
Oct 10th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
The list needed some updating before it could be released, but here are the Sika Show Competition Results for 2018.
For next year, we are looking at changing it up - keeping the focus on Sika heads and the jaw collection data programme, and canning the other categories.
The reason? Some people still think it is okay to cheat, enter poached animals, provide inaccurate details, and so on... It's a right pain for the organisation to follow up on all this, but most of all it just isn't fair. What do you think? http://sika-show.co.nz/2018-results/

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Re: Sika Show Competition results and future changes
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
How is limiting it to just Sika going to help that??

AIM  
IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
7mm08Roks wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:10pm:

+1

People will focus their poaching efforts on Sika...

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I guess that focussing on Sika only will increase the volume of herd data  for the Sika Foundation - which will be useful towards herd management?

Not sure how you would manage the poached Sika issue - but maybe through it being a smaller and closer hunting community there's more people in the know?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
7mm08Roks wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:10pm:

Just keep the tried and tested current formula, it's working well. Not everybody is addicted to hunting the squeaky voiced,runty deer.   Roll Eyes

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I think sticking to just Sika Deer entries is the way to go.There are now some real experts on the judging panel that have seen it all over the years. But been able to concentrate on the sika species to gather more herd data fits in with it's location in Taupo. There are enough red deer type competitions going on elsewhere in the community.

I haven't been to the show for a long time now but was there in the early years - the days when Shamus Howard from Heli Sika had his 500D parked outside on the truck trailer.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rich
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I think its a great idea after all it is the sika show. I preferred the show when it was all about the heads. There should be a descent prize just for having a head entered just to get the interest up.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #7 - yesterday at 6:43am
Print Post  
Bottom line is that whenever there is a competition it brings the worms out of the wood. Personally for myself I couldn't give a shit about parading a nice head I shot in front of the rest of the hunting public to be in with a chance to say I shot the biggest one. All that is, is a post pissing competition. If we hunt for that reason or monetary reward from shooting a big head then we are hunting for the wrong reasons. It stops being about the animal and becomes simply about winning over some one else. I do however like seeing photos of peoples heads on line or in magazines and the one positive from the Sika show is for hunters to see what is out there and has been shot recently. That is quite neat. You have to admit though that a look at some of the heads, reds in particular, shows that some of them were not 'wild' genetics at all or shot in normal 'wild' country. Some of those heads are about as interesting as looking at a cow. Wink

IP Logged

7x57

Reply #8 - yesterday at 10:06pm
Print Post  
I attend every year, and while I understand the origins of the show being based around the the Sika, I for one would be very disappointed not to have the other species there too, as I'm just as interested in them.
The show has now developed and grown into the premier NI hunting event and feel that restricting it now just to the sika would be a backwards step.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Today at 6:12am
Print Post  
new categories.  biggest poached head,  most skillfully poached, most daringly poached   Grin  obviosly would need a bit of a story to go with the head  Cheesy

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Today at 9:06am
Print Post  
Ok. So to confirm the stags poached and enable to go into the record book - like other record book species - a photo must be supplied of the said poached stag in its environment?  Cool Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards