Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hearing protection with muzzle brake while hunting (Read 512 times)
dombo3

Duck mad

Hearing protection with muzzle brake while hunting
Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
What are people using and recommend.

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Re: Hearing protection with muzzle brake while hunting
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
You can get electronic ear muffs that amplify sound and have a volume control. when there is a loud sound such as a hammer blow or in fact a rifle shot they shut the sound out or reduce the heard sound down to a safe level. Ear muffs may not be the ideal things to wear while hunting. There are available in ear devices very much like hearing aids which do the same thing. I use the ear muffs in my place of work and find them very good. Have never tried the in ear device, but i imagine they would do a very good job. Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I would be tempted to remove the brake if bush stalking. It might change POI but we are only talking short distances. You are unlikely to notice the recoil much taking single shots from a standing position at animals.
Longer range have (or put) the brake on, as well as earplugs, muffs or both.

I have a set of 3M Peltor Sportac electronic muffs, they work well on the range but I haven't tried wearing them while hunting yet.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
the diy silicon molded plugs work pretty good. I find earmuffs a nusance to shoot with

IP Logged

dombo3

Duck mad

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Brand recommendations?

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I'm having to learn what to do in this regard now that I've moved to a bigger bang stick, with brake. Will be interested in what comes out of this thread.

I think we're all talking what do hunters use in the field as most would use earmuffs at a range, for whatever calibre being fired, braked or not.

Currently for tops hunting I'm using these but find them less than satisfactory - not for the protection, but moreso for having around my neck . . .or perhaps more for remembering to put them in!!
www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-accessories/hearing-protection-enhanceme...

I do also have tiny plugs on a cord that sit in my pocket and can be fitted quickly

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
If it is a radial style brake then remove it when bush stalking. Put it back on for a long range shot when you have time to put ear plugs/muffs in.
If you don't want to remove the brake then use electronic ear muffs.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 1:43pm:
the diy silicon molded plugs work pretty good...

Well you're lucky then. The chances of getting good attenuation (sound exclusion) with a DIY kit are very low as you need to get soldily down to the second bend to achieve a good seal. A small portion of the population risk doing themselves an injury with this sort of approach- they could damage their ear drum or they may have twisty canals and/or recesses in the canal that will trap the impression when it sets. You have a real problem at that point..

I've taken tens of thousands of ear impressions over my career and would strongly recommend you stay away from any DIY kit!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards