Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Whitetail Deer Stewart Island (Read 594 times)
Tikkatalk
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Whitetail Deer Stewart Island
Oct 7th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Hunting Whitetail on Stewart Island is on my bucket list.
Thinking of going down there either June or July. Looking for some advice on East or West side? And good and not so good blocks? Thanks.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Re: Whitetail Deer Stewart Island
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Depends on a few things, how many are going, how long & how you intend to access the blocks, west side means a chopper or fixed wing can land on Masonís bay or at Doughboy at low tide.
East side you can go direct on a charter boat from bluff or get yourself to the island and water taxi,,etc to the close blocks or charter boat down to the southern ones. Do you want to fish/dive as well.

IP Logged

Tikkatalk
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for reply Outdoorlad. There will be 4 of us going for about 9/10 days. The priority is hunting, but a bit of fishing could be ok, but not a priority.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Have a look at   -  Stewart Island - who has been there
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1200097598

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I walked the NW circuit a while back. Lots and lots of trampers (was in summer, had snow on the 21st of Feb!). Saw a few hunters, one guy ran along the track to have a shot at a deer and asked us to wait so we didn't move into view and spook it. Heard a shot then carried on. I had a short chat with a young fawn near Yankee River (hunters there had a dingy and were catching more cod than they knew what to do with), that was the only deer I saw but heaps of fresh prints on most sandy beaches each morning.
My picks for hunting would be the Hellfire area, Bungaree bay, Christmas village, and Yankee River.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards