Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lew Sperry (Read 166 times)
huntnfish
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Lew Sperry
Oct 7th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Lew passed away this week. 98 years. Many will remember him especially in the Rotorua area, where he was a stalwart supporter of introducing youngsters to trout fishing at the Fish & Game "fish-out pools, years ago. In his younger days was brought up on his Dads farm at Whatawhata, then served as an aircraft mechanic in the RNZAF in the Pacific during WWII. A good piper as well, in the Hamilton Caledonian Pipe Band. He spent time with General Motors Rotorua until Bill Hamill started Hamills Sports in Rotorua and then became a  fixture in the shop along with Bill and old Jack Kirk. I recall a group of us, including Dave Ellery and Darryl Crawford travelling out Tarawera road around 1964/5 to check out the rough valley to plan and establish the Rotorua NZDA range, which is now a great facility. I send him a few pics of it only two weeks ago to show him the developments. His favourite haunts were twin streams, annual angling club trips across L. Tarawera to fish the outlet and Lake Rerewhakaiitu. Rest in peace mate. You learned me and many other young fellas heaps. You were also a gentleman  Smiley

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: Lew Sperry
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Sounds like he was  a great bloke, shame he never cracked the century. I probably purchased some ammo or other bits and pieces from him, as we always called into Hamills when we were hunting up that way ,or on our many roadtrips to Auckland, or the Hokianga. They always seemed to have a larger range of gear and secondhand rifles, than the shops in lower North Island.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards