Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic rangitata (Read 1008 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

rangitata
Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
hmmmmmm drove in on Friday,8 vechiles seen parked on way up river valley not counting the 2 in carpark,all huts and decent sized creek mouths had at least one vechile in residence.got as far as mistake flat before turning around... spent little time glassing but managed to spot a few thar down lowish....rain and clag and the late hour ment that wasnt going to be a feasible hunt.....drove down to a flatish,softish spot and pitched tents,had a quick wander to watch some grassy clearings without joy for the last 1/2hr of light,rain overnight,got up with sparrows flatulance and had short wander to watch same clearings and had short wander up creek once clag lifted before heading back for cooked breakfast. guys I was with not keen to stick around so had leasurly drive back out.spotted a few more thar high up on one of the stops and enjoyed drive home.10 vechiles seen parked and 3 motorbikes on way out.....so not really a hunt report at all but a heads up the place is rather busy.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Re: rangitata
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
All the Thar hipe of late may have a bit ti do with the amount of keen buggers up there yi reckon or is that the amount of guys that go up there nowadays?

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Will be hunting there more myself from now on.   Diesel at $135 to fill up and RUC's at $50 there and back to the Macauley are just too much for the budget.
Take a tent.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Sayonara wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 1:12pm:
Diesel at $135 to fill up and RUC's at $50 there and back to the Macauley are just too much for the budget

Only going to get worse, NZ$ dropping, more taxes coming and a 10% increase in RUC's at the start of the month.
Might have to start car pooling for hunting trips?  Undecided
I think the easiest solution is stay for longer hunting trips to offset the cost  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Sounds like a lot of vehicles but it's a massive area, not really what I'd call overrun with hunters. I once drove out of Clements road during the roar and counted 53 vehicles over 17 km.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
DOC are telling people there are masses of Tahr up there so expect more of the same.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
just spoke to an old chap who flew into and off the growler airstrip the weekend before...they went up spacifically to see how many animals they could see....70 ALL UP. dont think I did so bad seeing 25ish from river bed.
yeah Rumpy, I myself was thinking of Clements road when we saw numbers of vechiles.....you a heck of a lot less likely to get shot at in mistake for a thar...

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
ReelLuckyBouy wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Sayonara wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 1:12pm:
Diesel at $135 to fill up and RUC's at $50 there and back to the Macauley are just too much for the budget

Only going to get worse, NZ$ dropping, more taxes coming and a 10% increase in RUC's at the start of the month.
Might have to start car pooling for hunting trips? Undecided
I think the easiest solution is stay for longer hunting trips to offset the cost Cheesy

Grin Grin Cheesy Wink

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards