Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lewis / Arthurs Pass walkabout (Read 661 times)
Pete_Tong

Have it!

Lewis / Arthurs Pass walkabout
Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Heading down to Chch in a couple of weeks and I should be able to get a couple of days downtime so have decided to do a quick overnight walkabout. Never been in the hills in the SI and was thinking of doing a fly camp in Arthurs or Lewis Pass areas.
Was thinking Edwards or Goat Pass Hut in Arthurs Pass or going up around Doubtful Hut in Lewis Pass.

Anyone know how safe parking is in Engineers Camp? How about crossing the Boyle River on foot this time of year?

Any helpful comments appreciated. I'm just after a quick overnighter to experience some of the SI country. No gun with me this time just camera gear / tripod etc.

Cheers
PT

IP Logged

Gman

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Lewis / Arthurs Pass walkabout
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I cant tell you about those exact places but you'll want a good sleeping bag as it can still freeze up there this time of year and parking in Lewis pass can be sketchy, cars can definitely be targets

IP Logged

Al3x
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Yes parking on either Arthur's or Lewis pass roads can be dodgy, been broken into myself on the latter. Crossing the Boyle is OK but changeable as you would expect, worth considering the two bridges up or downstream as less weather dependent options. Anywhere around the spots you mentioned would be good - it's all great country

IP Logged

Pete_Tong

Have it!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments. Was a bit worried about the parking as I will be using my old mans car.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
If your hunting the Lewis I'm pretty sure the Boyle Outdoor Education Centre will look after your car for a small fee. Don't make the mistake of going back too far from the road.   Wink

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
For Lewis pass, if u belong to NZDA, the Nth Canterbury branch owns Palmer lodge which is on the main highway just south of the pass.  Good access to the Nina river tops etc.  Always deer about and a few chamois elude the poaching choppers in the back tops.  Contact a key holder thru your DA branch.  And what Canty guy said.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards