Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Any thoughts on Kuiu Pro Pant, Guide Jacket and Superdown Ultra Jacket?? (Read 511 times)
mitch23

Any thoughts on Kuiu Pro Pant, Guide Jacket and Superdown Ultra Jacket??
Oct 4th, 2018 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Morning,

We're off on a family trip to the USA next year. I've picked up a few bits from Kuiu including a Peleton 240, 200, Teton top, Guide Beanie, boonie and a neck gaiter. As it's expensive stuff I've only really "dipped my toe" into the Kuiu clothing pool.

As we're going to the Kuiu Showroom I'll be able to see the gear and try it on for myself. However, I'm interested in what people's experience of the gear is like for hunting in NZ conditions good, bad or indifferent......especially with these purchases as they are quite expensive!!!

The main areas I’m interested in are:

1. Performance

2. Durability

I hunt a mixture of Canterbury bush and the tops.

Any thoughts on the Icon Pro series of packs would be appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Mitch

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: Any thoughts on Kuiu Pro Pant, Guide Jacket and Superdown Ultra Jacket??
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Yep, I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

I have the Guide Jacket and have had it for the past three years and it's still going strong so there a very durable jacket, it has been in all the elements. It's wind proof but not rain proof and will handle light showers no problem.

One of the main things with alot of jacket styles from the US is they are a bit short in the length but that's really my only gripe about the jacket.

It's a been a solid heavy duty jacket which has performed extremely well.

Would I buy another... not sure... a mate has a Stoney Creek Frostline Jacket which is the same design as the Guide but longer in the waist and I really do like that jacket and costs NZ$289 as opposed to NZ$425.70 for the Guide Jacket.  Cry

As for packs... I too have been looking at the packs but again the price puts me off and I just can't justify that expense.  Undecided

Other lightweight 2-3 days packs I've looked at are:

One Planet Overshadonw - 1400 grams
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/packs/bushwalking/overshadow/

Tatonka Norix 48 ltr - 1700 gram
https://www.tatonka.com/en/Backpacks-Touring-Backpacks-Norix-48/1379

Tatonka Pyrox - 45 + 10 ltr - 1700 grams
https://www.tatonka.com/en/Backpacks/Touring-Backpacks/Pyrox-45-10/1446?colorid=...

I'm probably going to purchase the Norix

Well done on going to the states and visiting the Kuiu show room where you'll get to see ALL their gear under one roof... I hope your also going to a Cabelas or Bass Pro while your over there and either of those stores involves a whole day to get around and take your camera!

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

mitch23

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.

Agreed on the packs.....pretty hard to justify that sorta cash!!!

Will look into Bass Pro  and Cabelas.

Cheers,

Mitch

― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
mitch23 wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:26am:
Thanks for the reply.

Agreed on the packs.....pretty hard to justify that sorta cash!!!

Will look into Bass Pro  and Cabelas.

Cheers,

Mitch

25% off packs...

Second what 7/10th said about length. 

Mitch how did you find the Peloton series?  I found them short in the torso but fine in the chest and arms.

I own the Guide jacket and vest - the jacket is now for walking the dogs and around town (solid colour).  At 680 grams and a jack of all trades master of none I can't see the point of lugging that around in my pack.  Unless you were going to wear the jacket more often than not but even then.  The vest is 300 something something grams and does 90% of the job.  Same pocket set up and all.

A Peloton 200 hood and guide vest weighs less and is probably as warm if not warmer. More flexibility too.

My 5 cents.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

mitch23

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Dan,

If I was to do it again I'd buy the Peleton 200 and probably not buy the 240 top. I'm not sure I agree with the whole "windproof by construction" stuff with the 240. I'm not convinced the 240 top adds a great deal over the 200....I think the 200 top does 80-90% of what the 240 top does. I guess I should've worked that out myself based on the fabric weights.

I agree its on the cusp of being too short for me (6'3" and 115kgs) but chest and arms are great.....usually they arms are too short. In relation to the length, I think us Kiwis are just used to longer length tops.

I'm starting to move away from the Guide Jacket.....not sure I'll add a great deal to what I have from a layering perspective. Between the Teton, 200 and 240 Peletons, an Under Armour Dennison Jacket shell and the Swazi XP I'm pretty sorted....I'm not sure what the Guide would fit in to be candid.

I was really interested in the Alpine pant and Teton but I see the Teton's been discontinued and the Alpine has been replaced with the Pro Pant. I'm not brave enough to buy expensive pants online so I'll wait for my visit and try them on.

Even a 25% off the packs still might be a tad too rich for my blood. Probably hard to go past the tried and true Tatonka!!

Thanks for the reply......looks like I've saved some cash!!

Anyone out there got a Superdown or the new Pro Pant???

Cheers,

Mitch

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2018 at 4:30pm by mitch23 »  

― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
mitch23 wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:27am:
I'm starting to move away from the Guide Jacket.....not sure I'll add a great deal to what I have from a layering perspective. Between the Teton, 200 and 240 Peletons, an Under Armour Dennison Jacket shell and the Swazi XP I'm pretty sorted....I'm not sure what the Guide would fit in to be candid.

Don't let me put you off but you have nailed how I would sum the jacket up.  'Where would you fit thing'.  Winter fly-in trip would be ideal.

Dan

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
I have the guide jacket and like it - use it as my outer layer most of the time with a merino lightweight base layer underneath - covers about 90% of my hunting. Swap it for a raincoat in the wet however. I guess if I was pack hunting and camping I would just use the raincoat. But I'm normally day hunting from huts so don't need to count every gram.

Their simplest pants the attack i think are the best. they don't need so many pockets etc. The big side vents are the business. The pants with knee pads I find unnecessary. Good well made gear,

The down jackets are good but pricey. I use a Marmot one which was much cheaper here.

Overall I use the Kuiu stuff most - the kiwi stuff is catching up in quality now though. I wish Kuiu made a Swanni shape  - longer length, half zip and pit zips - that would be much better than the short style american designs with lots of unnecessary pockets.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 7:00am
Print Post  
The Peleton is great. Warm and light and not bulky at all. Well suited to NZ conditions. I really like my super down hooded jacket but here is the thing. It is seriously super light weight and packs down to nothing. At some point there is a compromise and when you first try it on it seems very thin with stuff all down in it. I have found with mine that it seems to be a lot warmer than you would expect though. For a serious winter trip I would want a bulkier down jacket. The merino tops are the same. Very thin. Life is a compromise and you need to balance the amount of actual warmth you need against the weight/ bulk to carry and the price. We like to get all fancy but good light weight quality fleece or merino, layered and with a good shell still takes a lot of beating, is hard wearing and does well. All the flash stuff that gets trotted out in a new form every month has not really improved on this. I would buy my coat from NZ suppliers for NZ conditions. When it rains constantly and you are sweating and pushing through scrub etc I have yet to see a coat that doesnt feel at least damp inside at the end of the day. That is life and where your base layers earn their keep and you are ready to go again the next day. Wink

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
The supa down jacket will be very warm, it uses 850 loft down, most other companies use 650 loft or less. As an example my 400gr 800loft sleeping bag is as warm as my 750gr 650 loft sleeping bag.

IP Logged

ryansonghurst
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
There are far better items of clothing if you expand your horizons and look past the gimicky camo patterns of the "hunting brands"
I had a kuiu chugach pro jacket and it performed well and packed down small and light, I sold it however as I couldnt justify that much money tied up in a rainshell jacket, I now have a Patagonia TorrentShell jacket as my rain jacket and its brilliant at less than half the price of the Kuiu item, I actually think it performs better than the Chugach did in persistent rain.
I do however have a Kuiu Superdown jacket (in black Smiley ) and its a brilliant jacket that provides way more warmth than its compactness would lead you to believe, packs down into its own pocket.
You may find this hard to believe but if you are really keen on Kuiu etc then keep an eye on aliexpress as there is a seller on there that must catch stuff falling off the back of a truck at the factories that produce Sitka and Kuiu, items are 100% genuine and massively discounted compared to buying direct, supply seems patchy though, one week theres a whole heap listed, next week its ģone.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I brought a guide jacket in solid colour, too nice to wear bush, great for everyday use & agree that you’d only take it hunt8ng if you weren’t lugging it in your pack. I really like it.

Some of the kuiu clothing isn’t suited to Nz scrub bashing, ie, I got a pair of the attack pants, vents are nice, few to many pockets for my liking and the fabric has pulled in places plus I’ve managed to put a small rip in them.
One of there tops I have (peloton?) looks pretty second hand.
Have had a good run out of the gaiters although I’ve had to patch a couple holes.

IP Logged

mitch23

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies.....it's been quite helpful.

I'm looking forward to visiting the show room next year, I think I'll have to be quite clear about what I need or like a good Kea I'll just grab anything that looks shiny!!!

Cheers,

Mitch

― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
outdoorlad wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
I brought a guide jacket in solid colour, too nice to wear bush, great for everyday use & agree that you’d only take it hunt8ng if you weren’t lugging it in your pack. I really like it.

I wear mine to the office  Grin Grin Grin

Any one tried the new Kenai Jacket? 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards