Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Whatís needed for Consistent reloading for longer ranges (Read 292 times)
Joshgill
Donor Member

Whatís needed for Consistent reloading for longer ranges
Sep 30th, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I have the basic Redding reloading kit case trimmer all the basics
Have a run out gauge on its way to check runout which I think I may Be getting , once I have this issue sorted whatís the next step?

Do i need to neck turn ?

I would like to think I can get away without neck turning but I am no reloading expert so enlighten me ,

I want to keep things simple but I like presicion specially if I want to shoot out to 700m so thought ??

Thanks in Adavance

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: Whatís needed for Consistent reloading for longer ranges
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Wow - it depends how anal you want to be regarding long range or any range accuracy.
You can weigh cases, measure cases and volumes and everything the more you go for consistency the more consistent your load will be - you can slap together something thatís good or great but if you really become tight with your deviations or variances you invariably will get a smaller spread of extremes and a tighter load accuracy. But everything is adjustable - thatís the fun/ frustrating part of reloading.
Havenít answered your question but you get what I. Mean

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
with runout......as you start seating bullet , stop and rotate case 180 degrees and then finish seating it all the way,it works...had guys try it and a large improvement was measured.
as to how much you need to do.....depends on how tight your groups are...if they are good now say 3/4" well you dont muck with what is working.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
My routine:

Clean primer pockets.
Bump shoulders back 2 thou.
Expand necks (K&M expander mandrel).
Trim to length (LE Wilson trimmer).
Outside neck turn (K&M turner).
Neck size (expander ball removed) to give 2 thou tension (Redding bushing die).
Seat projectile (Redding Comp seating die).
Anneal every 3 firings

I donít weigh sort brass, FL size or bother with any sort of cleaning (other than pockets).

I try to follow the same process every time for the sake of consistency and get low ES and good accuracy.
I use ELD-X for my .284 400m rifle and ELD-M for the .300 Win Mag, and Norma or Lapua brass with Fed GM match primers.

Just my routine, but it works for me. I got my gear when living in the US, so it cost way less than here. There are plenty of other ways to do it, but consistency is key whatever you do.

IP Logged

proneshooter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Do you have a no-turn neck? What brass are you using?
The reason I ask those questions is that depending on whose brass you are using, you may not need to turn necks. I use Lapua brass for all my competition and hunting rifles. They are consistent, but still need to be turned. I have found that neck tension is as much or more important to small groups at LR as my powder charges being within .02 grains.
Annealing the brass after no more than 3 firings will help with keeping neck tension consistent as well. I play with different expander balls in my dies to see if that helps as well. The spring back from the brass will vary depending on makeup and number of firings since it was annealed. Wilson seating dies are used for all my bullet seating. Hope some of that helps Smiley.

IP Logged

Joshgill
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Norma brass got plenty of things to try so once I get my runout gauge will experience some of these and measure the difference, will hold off on neck turning just yet , thanks for all the ideas

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
proneshooter wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 11:35am:
Do you have a no-turn neck? What brass are you using?
The reason I ask those questions is that depending on whose brass you are using, you may not need to turn necks. I use Lapua brass for all my competition and hunting rifles. They are consistent, but still need to be turned. I have found that neck tension is as much or more important to small groups at LR as my powder charges being within .02 grains.
Annealing the brass after no more than 3 firings will help with keeping neck tension consistent as well. I play with different expander balls in my dies to see if that helps as well. The spring back from the brass will vary depending on makeup and number of firings since it was annealed. Wilson seating dies are used for all my bullet seating. Hope some of that helps Smiley.

Agree that even quality brass has variance in neck wall thickness and benefits from a skim of the neck. My 6.5-.284 Lapua brass necked up to .284 needs 1-1.5 thou to be removed to even up the necks. I bet other brands have more variance than that too.

IP Logged

proneshooter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  

Agree that even quality brass has variance in neck wall thickness and benefits from a skim of the neck. My 6.5-.284 Lapua brass necked up to .284 needs 1-1.5 thou to be removed to even up the necks. I bet other brands have more variance than that too. [/quote] I do the same as you, necking up the 6.5 brass to use in my .284. I tried some of the Norma brass when it came out, but found it to be too inconsistent. Winchester is even worse. I shoot a tight chamber, so my necks are taken down to .0011. Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards