Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tight neck whenís pulling brass out of full length size of die (Read 510 times)
Joshgill
Donor Member

Tight neck whenís pulling brass out of full length size of die
Sep 29th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Hi question from a novice reloader, am getting the odd case which is very hard to pull out of full length sizing die , have annealed cases and still getting the odd one

Is it just lack of oil causing this or am I missing something else .

And will these tight ones be causing accuracy issues
Guns 7mm rem mag case done Three or four shots Norman brass

Thanks

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Tight neck whenís pulling brass out of full length size of die
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Possibly not enough lube inside the neck? I use graphite powder, buy it from mitre 10,pop it into an old film container with the shot from a shotgun shell, dip the neck in to coat it, you do have to wipe the outside stuff off.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Are you lubing the inside of the neck at all?
Dipping in graphite or mica in one method, but I find wiping my finger on a lubed case then across the mouth of the case leaves enough lube to make a big difference,† even doing it every 2 or 3 cases is enough.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2018 at 11:57am by Cigar »  

IP Logged

Joshgill
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Just use hornady one shot spray lube , normally make a effort to get spray in case neck , might pull expanding ball out of die to clean and lub up , have a gauge on way to measure run out to see if the tight necked brass is getting extra run out or not

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Hornady spray is pretty poor quality stuff. Imperial sizing wax is far better.

I never use expanding balls on my dies at all. I remove them when I buy a die and use a K&M expander mandrel to open up mu case necks prior to neck sizing with a Redding bushing die.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Hornady One Shot (aerosol not plastic pump bottle) is excellent lube - for NECK SIZING ONLY. The one and only time I got a case stuck in a die many years ago was using One Shot. For neck sizing I spray the tops of the case from 2 sides but at an angle so spray goes inside the necks. Also you must let it dry b4 running the cases thru the die. Virtually zero cleanup is required once thru the die.

For full length sizing I use either Hornady or Lyman oils (never the liquid Lee water based version) applied via a stamp pad (buy an uninked one front stationery shop). On the cartridges where I still use an expander ball I lube inside the necks with the same stuff on a cotton bud. Quick and easy and effective.

I don't like using Imperial Sizing Wax for FLSizing, too slow compared to rolling several cases as once on the stamp pad. I do however use it for case forming, there is nothing better.

IP Logged

Joshgill
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Iíve been reading about the taking expander ball out. But I donít neck turn , i was looking at buying a replacement expander ball for my redding die ,I see they have a floating carbide button kit that might serve my purpose well ?thoughts ?

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I neck turn, but you donít need to. You could expand the neck with a K&M expander mandrel (which are simple and pretty cheap), then neck size as usual.

I think neck turning and bushing dies are the single best way to control neck tension and ES, but I admit itís a faff and good neck turning gear and bushing dies are expensive.

IP Logged

proneshooter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Joshgill wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:51am:
Iíve been reading about the taking expander ball out. But I donít neck turn , i was looking at buying a replacement expander ball for my redding die ,I see they have a floating carbide button kit that might serve my purpose well ?thoughts ?

I use Whidden dies for all my rifles, including my 1000 yard f-class rifles. Part of the reason why I like their dies is that you can get an expander ball kit for most calibers to play with neck tension. If you go to the web site and look in the decap assembly section, you will find the kit.
Neck turning will not always take the inconsistencies out of the brass, and an expander ball is necessary. That is even true if you use an expanding mandrel before sizing, since spring back will vary from brands and lots of brass. Cheers

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 6:46am:

I never use expanding balls on my dies at all. I remove them when I buy a die and use a K&M expander mandrel to open up mu case necks prior to neck sizing with a Redding bushing die.

Imperial forever. What is the issue with a quick clean after sizing. Your necks are perfect. Isint that what you should concentrate on.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
proneshooter wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 12:20pm:
Joshgill wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:51am:

I use Whidden dies for all my rifles, including my 1000 yard f-class rifles. Part of the reason why I like their dies is that you can get an expander ball kit for most calibers to play with neck tension. If you go to the web site and look in the decap assembly section, you will find the kit.
Neck turning will not always take the inconsistencies out of the brass, and an expander ball is necessary. That is even true if you use an expanding mandrel before sizing, since spring back will vary from brands and lots of brass. Cheers

Why wonít you get spring back when using an expander ball? I donít agree that an expander ball is necessary, but thatís OK as itís just my opinion and we donít need to agree.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:41pm:

Imperial forever. What is the issue with a quick clean after sizing. Your necks are perfect. Isint that what you should concentrate on.

I just havenít found any benefit in cleaning in trials, other than cases looking nice. Accuracy was the same whether I tumbled cases, or just brushed necks, or didnít clean at all.

Cheers

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I lube body of case with vasoline on fingers and dip necks ONLY in graphite powder sitting in jar lid with some old bird shot.... by only going in neck deep I dont need to whipe any off....

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:40pm:
sako wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 4:41pm:

I just havenít found any benefit in cleaning in trials, other than cases looking nice. Accuracy was the same whether I tumbled cases, or just brushed necks, or didnít clean at all.

Cheers

I was taught to clean the lube off sized cases, the theory being when you fire unlubed/clean cases they grip the sides of the chamber (to a certain extent), while lubed cases transfer much more pressure to the bolt face.
Nowadays I mainly neck-size using collet dies, so no lube used, so none needs to be cleaned off.

IP Logged

dogmatix
Forum Font

FnH member since 2005

Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Joshgill wrote on Sep 29th, 2018 at 8:31pm:
Hi question from a novice reloader, am getting the odd case which is very hard to pull out of full length sizing die , have annealed cases and still getting the odd one

Is it just lack of oil causing this or am I missing something else .

And will these tight ones be causing accuracy issues
Guns 7mm rem mag case done Three or four shots Norman brass

Thanks

Lube the inside of the cases, polish the expander ball to a better finish and if youíve annealed the case neck, polish the case neck up with some 00 steel wool to remove the blue tint annealing heat marks.

Iíve polished all my full length die expander balls, so donít need to lube the inside of the case necks anymore.

Welcome to Sako club.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards