Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Loctite 243 - Scope Mounting (Read 239 times)
Fair Chase
Just Joined

Loctite 243 - Scope Mounting
Sep 29th, 2018 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Hi there just wondering if anybody has any advice about what thread locker to use on rings when mounting scopes. I am about to put a Leupold VX3 2.5 - 8 on my Tikka 223. I have some Loctite 243 or Loctite blue I think it is referred to. Guy at engineering shop said its the right one to use?? Reckons gives you about half an hour to play with when you put it on. I've got Optilock SS rings to use. Any pearls of wisdom appreciated!

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Loctite 243 - Scope Mounting
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
It is unusual for properly tightened screws on quality rings to come loose ,if you must use locktite use the screw one, I think it is the blue one , the best way to tighten screws is use a screwdriver handled torx bit or what ever screw head you use , when the screw is fully tightened ,put some pressure on it ,then , while keeping pressure on , tap the end of the driver with a hammer , this jolts the screw in a bit more and ensures it is properly seated , tight screws can be loosened doing this in reverse . The springy steel top doesn't close all the way onto the bottom , thus keeping pressure on the screw .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
It is unusual for properly tightened screws on quality rings to come loose ,if you must use locktite use the screw one, I think it is the blue one , the best way to tighten screws is use a screwdriver handled torx bit or what ever screw head you use , when the screw is fully tightened ,put some pressure on it ,then , while keeping pressure on , tap the end of the driver with a hammer , this jolts the screw in a bit more and ensures it is properly seated , tight screws can be loosened doing this in reverse ..
Make sure you dont over do it and snap the screw head off .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
If you use Loctite blue on the screws, don't use too much and  use a bit of heat when you remove them.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Thanks guys..................hmmm maybe I'll just tighten them up manually. I have a torque screwdriver so I can get that done evenly. Paid top dollar for Optilock one piece so hopefully it might stay in one place.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Use finger nail polish, cheap and works well

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
You don't need to use any thread locker on rings screws be it the cross bolts or the cap screws. The only time I use thread locker is if fitting bases. Then I use blue which is designed to prevent screws being affected by vibration and the screws can be loosened by normal hand tools - no heat required. The screws will generally feel firms throughout their full undoing. There is also red but unless you have a serious screw loosening problem you would be crazy to use is as it requires heat to break it's hold.
Blue loctite supposedly sets in around 10 minutes once in compression and is fully ready to go in 24 hrs.
As I assume you are fitting rings to an integral dovetail I wouldn't use a thread locker but if you really feel the need put it on the cross screws only. I usually put a wee dab of nail varnish in the bottom ring shells which will stop your scope moving in the rings. If using Optilocs with inserts, or Burris Sig Vee rings there is no need.
I have never had a scope move in Optilocs or Burris Sig Vees.

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Cool thanks guys. I don't want to create an unnecessary problem. My 2.5 - 8's been on my 308 forever but its that long I can't recall what we did when I put it on. Hasn't moved though. Now putting that scope on my 223 and putting 2 - 10 on the 308. Cheers appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards