Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Synthetic Winch Rope (Read 263 times)
Highland

Happy in the hills....

Synthetic Winch Rope
Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have a 5.3m boat (Fi-glass Firestar). Wire winch rope needs replacing, I am planning on using synthetic. It currently has 6 metres of rope on it, it appears that some of the rope never gets used. The synthetic rope I was planning on using (from Burnsco) comes in 5 or 7 metre lengths. Question is, for a boat that size should I put a 5 or 7 meter rope on? Will I get any benefit from the longer rope? or will I get away with 5 metres? I guess i could cut the 7 metre rope back to 6. Thoughts from those with experience appreciated. Cheers

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Synthetic Winch Rope
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I would go with the 7m. It will fill the winch drum a bit more and gear it a bit higher [that can be good and bad] but that extra metre of rope could come in handy.

Synthetic is way nicer than wire.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
I would go with the 7m. It will fill the winch drum a bit more and gear it a bit higher [that can be good and bad] but that extra metre of rope could come in handy.

Synthetic is way nicer than wire.

Yes and very yes. I would have to replace a wire winchrope every 3-4 years and I have had my present synthetic for more than 7.

And no worries about grabbing a deteriorating wire and getting bloodstains all over my steeringwheel!

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Synthetic all the way , no more sharp barbs and shit. Stong as. Go 7m nothing worse than having the rope too short and when it windy or rough hard to get the boat in a mint spot to hook it on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards