Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hanging venison (Read 769 times)
Stagpad
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Hanging venison
Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Hey guys, for those that donít have the luxury of a chiller, how and where do you hang your meat once you get a kill to stop flys getting on it? Cheers

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Hanging venison
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
It depends Cheesy. An Autumn or Spring shot animal in an alpine location can be hung  whole or just hind quarters in the bush for a week easy, as long as it doesn't get wet. Muslin or an old sheet can keep flys off.
In summer an animal can go off in the sun up on the Kaimanawa tops in half a day.
But us old guys don't cart skin and bones anywhere these days, so its just meat that goes back to camp, or out to the road end. In summer the meat goes into two plastic bags and into the stream deep in the bush, pronto. It then gets to 'hang' in the fridge for 4-7 days before being frozen or eaten Smiley

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I hang whole deer in my shed overnight. It's a big high stud coloursteel unlined shed so while it's cool in there at night it gets very warm during the day, so next morning I do the skinning and breaking down then into the fridge for a few days. Late autumn, winter and early spring the flies aren't an issue, i have a stoney creek meatsafe for use in summer.
Venison carried out in pieces goes straight in the fridge for a few days before being broken down and frozen (if it's not eaten first!).

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Same, Iíll bone it out and into the fridge for a few days until the wife gets grumpy and then cut it up.  Grin

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:26am:
It depends Cheesy. An Autumn or Spring shot animal in an alpine location can be hung† whole or just hind quarters in the bush for a week easy, as long as it doesn't get wet. Muslin or an old sheet can keep flys off.
In summer an animal can go off in the sun up on the Kaimanawa tops in half a day.
But us old guys don't cart skin and bones anywhere these days, so its just meat that goes back to camp, or out to the road end. In summer the meat goes into two plastic bags and into the stream deep in the bush, pronto. It then gets to 'hang' in the fridge for 4-7 days before being frozen or eaten Smiley

+1
If a shady creek is handy in warmer weather, the natural breeze close to the surface will help cool the meat (suspended in pillow slips) prior to encasing in plastic bags and placing under water.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Usually I cut all the meat off that I want and hang in muslin cloth in coolest spot I can find. As mentioned a shady spot just above a stream with a bit of a breeze is a good spot. Once meat is cool you can put in plastic bags under water, just make sure you have good quality bags without holes. A mate of mine lost a whole tahr which got saturated from leaking bags.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

videohunter

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Much the same as above......or use black pepper or smoke the leg of game meat over a "cold smokey fire".

IP Logged

Balls Deep
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
While hanging in my garage I open up the pits, throw a bag of ice in the rib cage and put a fan front and back of the carcass. I also place a bin under the animal to catch the water and blood. Works for me in summer for only two nights.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards