Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do you keep your camera gear dry/stored on a multi-day trip? (Read 1390 times)
el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

How do you keep your camera gear dry/stored on a multi-day trip?
Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:12am
Print Post  
I was thinking to buy one of those budget pelican-style cases from bunnings, or maybe eventually the real deal. However, also wondering about keeping the gear dry in the humidity of a beech forest... do you just put in loads of dessicant sachets? (Obviously dry it off between use). Wondering if that is sufficient on a 4-5 day trip to avoid fungus.

Also, the pelican cases... what is the deal with the foam? Do they sell extra foam? How do you cut it to shape? Any tips would be much appreciated. I guess you cut it with a craft knife, and a fair bit smaller to ensure a snug fit?

My camera equipment are my children, hence the long-winded  pedantic post  Cheesy

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: How do you keep your camera gear dry/stored on a multi-day trip?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I have 2 of the cheaper Bunning cases. They are good value. And are waterproof.
The foam inside is pre cut into cubes-so you can pull out the shape you want to fit inside for a snug fit. I guess the foam would soak up some moisture-never had a problem with moisture in the case.
Hope this helps.  Smiley

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Baz wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 11:23am:
I have 2 of the cheaper Bunning cases. They are good value. And are waterproof.
The foam inside is pre cut into cubes-so you can pull out the shape you want to fit inside for a snug fit. I guess the foam would soak up some moisture-never had a problem with moisture in the case.
Hope this helps.  Smiley

Thanks Baz. I actually got the Bunnings idea from an old post you made about them here! Any complaints about them?

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Baz. I actually got the Bunnings idea from an old post you made about them here! Any complaints about them? [/quote]

None so far mate. They have been ferried across the lake numerous times, and bounced around in the back of a ute on a regular basis.
I think a Pelican case of similar dimensions is about twice the price of the Bunnings version.
They have a rubber seal and a pressure valve if transporting by air.
I have had mine about 3 years or so and no complaints.
Here's a link about the pre cut cube system that applies to Pelican and Bunnings cases.
Cheers,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axAd8EIeQ0k
Cheers

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I've got a Bunnings hard case as well, use it to store my freshwater reels. Had it for about 3 years, gets bounced around in the boat abit. No issues, very happy with it considering the price.

Only comment would be go easy on pulling out the pre-cut foam, as you can put it back but it loses it shape.

There isn't a lighter option?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards