Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stags galore but its September (Read 1359 times)
Simon Gibson

Stags galore but its September
Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:54am
Print Post  
September is a funny old time of year to go and hunt reds for me. The stags have dropped their antlers or will be about to and the hinds will be heavily pregnant so I dont target either but a nice fat yearling or a spiker is a different story. With a southerly dying out the weather would be perfect for a day or so it was a good excuse to get out for a night.

Camp was a modest affair. Being such a nice night there was no need for a tent or a fly to be carried so it was a night lying under the stars listening to Moreporks calling, a true bush Hilton. Hard to think of anywhere better to be at times like this.

Water is close by, supplied by a spring near the top of the ridge so no need to drop down to a creek which makes life easy.

Big country to give the legs a workout. Not long after I took this picture mist blotted out the landscape ending the evenings hunting but as soon as the sun set it disappeared and the following morning was a cracker.
Spotted another hunter at the top of a distant creek head but plenty of country for everyone. Met him and his mate as they passed by my camp in the dark, both super keen young hunters and doing well because of it.

Having hunted this range countless times I know where the deer will be living at different times of the year and some real hot spots so the odds of an encounter or two are very high. Late September and the slips are devoid of any fresh growth so limited animals on them. The punga guts 2/3rds of the way up the hill are a different matter, full of prints and fresh feeding sign, never changes year after year. In a month or so they will have moved higher.

Always awesome when you are working the edges of a slip with your binos and you sweep over an animal. There are 6 antlerless stags in this group. First seen at 550 yards, they were happy as feeding in the sun.

After a bit of sneaking about in the bush by me they are now at 330 yards but a photo was all I took. So cool to come across scenes like this, really makes a hunt memorable.
Another memorable moment not long after was when after grovelling through a patch of wind swept scrub I went to take a photo of a goat in the bush and to my horror found my pikau hanging around my legs after coming undone. Missing was my $1500 camera, range finder, EPIRB, knife etc. After 5 minutes of frantic back tracking there it all was strewn down a bank. Would have been an epic find for another hunter assuming there is anyone stupid enough to grovel through this sort of crappy bush.

Goats are building up in the area but its a catch 22 situation, fire a shot and you stuff the deer hunting, leave them and soon numbers will be out of control.  Took one at 340 yards but all her mates hightailed it into the bush before another shot could be fired. Might have to do a few goat culls in the near future I think.

Plenty of deer seen but no young ones, too many goats encountered and tired legs by the time I got back to the car. Then the drive home plotting the next adventure.

bnb

IP Logged

dribbler

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stags galore but its September
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Like above post. Smiley

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Good story, love the photos!
Thanks for posting  Smiley

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Good post & pic's Simon, I can relate to losing something through inattention/carelessness. Then the joy and relief when finding it again, after a frantic search.  Grin
I can assure you, as you become older, it may become more frequent.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Great pics and Yarn.
Cheers for posting Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
plurry good yarn....might be time to load up a few subsonics to have a play with and give them goats a hurry up big time.... awesome photos ,thanks for shareing.

IP Logged

Catguts
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks Simon, enjoyed the read

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Ooooh nice one, cool pictures -> good camera/man behind it!  Cool

I am pretty sure that if I would see company of 6 stags it would result in squeezing the trigger... One on very top of first picture (right above lightly coloured one, facing right) looks like young-ish animal to me?

Funny how each one of us have different approach to animal management/culling eh?  Wink

Cheers for posting!

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks Pete. Yep hunting is different to all hunters but there is no right or wrong. In my case I decided not to shoot but if another hunter did and had taken one of those stags with a nice clean shot then I would be the first to congratulate them.

bnb

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Nice report (and photos) Simon. Tough situation having those goats ay? They dont take long to multiply and then it's trouble for all ay.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Cool report and photos. Thanks for sharing.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Nice report, one of those stags looks like hes had a hard winter, hip bones sticking out, you can see why they feed hard when spring arrives.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
good read. Thanks for posting.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

HeadHunter
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Yeah great photos, cheers

IP Logged

GET SOME

huntsoc old boy

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Good post simon.

Always a hard call on the goats

Dont blame the animal..... Blame the meat
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards