Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Puffer Jackets (Read 612 times)
Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Puffer Jackets
Sep 25th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
What are people using for winter static hunting/campsite use and why?

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Puffer Jackets
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I have a Macpac Halo which I use because it's what I have. Fairly warm but no hood. Most will probably say a hood essential for sitting/spotting in the cold. I also put my waterproof/windproof jacket over top to keep warmer.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Macpac halo with the hood.  This is my daily in the Dunedin winter/spring/autumn

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Macpac all the way.  I have had a vest, halo without a hood and two uberlights with hoods.

Whatever model you get I highly reccomend the hood, it adds a lot of warmth and comfort for very little weight.

Halo is definitely warmer than uberlight so you just need to decide how much warmth you need. As well as more down it has features like an internal phone pocket (handy for storing the stuff sack) and the ability to tighten up the cuffs and waist to stop air leaking out.

Personally I want less bulky gear and I don't need the extra warmth so I have standardized  on the uberlight.  I use the old smelly one for hunting and have a new not currently smelly one to wear to work.

All that stuff is on clearance at Macpac now that it's spring so it's a good time to pick one up.

I have a halo in xxl (no hood) to sell for cheap ($50) if anyone is interested.  Color is green.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:21am:
Macpac all the way.  I have had a vest, halo without a hood and two uberlights with hoods.

Whatever model you get I highly reccomend the hood, it adds a lot of warmth and comfort for very little weight.

Halo is definitely warmer than uberlight so you just need to decide how much warmth you need. As well as more down it has features like an internal phone pocket (handy for storing the stuff sack) and the ability to tighten up the cuffs and waist to stop air leaking out.

Personally I want less bulky gear and I don't need the extra warmth so I have standardized  on the uberlight.  I use the old smelly one for hunting and have a new not currently smelly one to wear to work.

All that stuff is on clearance at Macpac now that it's spring so it's a good time to pick one up.

I have a halo in xxl (no hood) to sell for cheap ($50) if anyone is interested.  Color is green.

Whats it like?much use?
Cheers
WK

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Just spent 4 hours sitting up Mt Thomas on the tops and the Stoney Creek I've got was a blessing.  Bloody cold wind swirling all over the show including eventually over my right shoulder on in down to the spot I was watching.
Slip that thing on and it was easy to stay still and just watch.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I have not got one of their jackets but have heard great things about them. NZ made  Cool.

http://www.woe.co.nz/

IP Logged

AFD826
Just Joined
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I've got a Hunters Element "Element" - love it. The outer material seems a bit tougher than the Macpac versions. Definitely agree that a hood is a must have as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards