Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kaimanawa trip (Read 1531 times)
SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Kaimanawa trip
Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Iíve never been in here before and have read a lot of previous posts on the topic but between clements and urchin Iíve selected the clements mill road for the wee bit of time I have over a few days this week, just wondering in terms of a good area to depart from which one of the camping areas is best...I donít really want to go all the way to the end but if thatís whatís recommended then Iíll give it a crack.

IP Logged

beechleaf

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Kaimanawa trip
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
take yr pick mate. the main clements mill clearing has a few good spots to tuck into or even te Iringa. plenty of good hunting around either of these

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that, might try main site then and work back if noluck, just didn't want to drive in too deep, especially since the weather packed up again. Is it mainly bush stalking off all those camp site off Clements mill road?

IP Logged

beechleaf

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
sure is.. a few clearings here and there although there will be no growth yet. a bit of glassing behind the mill on pine/native bush edge. good luck

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Itíll be busy this weekend with those mixing Sika show with a quick hunt on Sunday😂👍

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Well I spent 3 nights, pretty much no one which surprised me due to the sika show. I focused on the plantation and edges... heaps of sign infact even in the Bush east of the camp itís just impossible not to find sign and fairly fresh, evening downpours meant the next morning new trails were easy to detect and follow. No matter how quiet in the bush or glassed over the young pine hills I didnít see or hear or spook a single one.
Are they coming out after dark? Iíd hit the plantation at first light every morning and in the Bush late afternoon and evening but nothing have...I might just be too loud. As it stands my kill count is minus one with deer let alone going after the elusive sika.

IP Logged

monk

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Full moon at the moment wonít make it easy.They would of been out all night and tucked up agai well before daylight

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
monk wrote on Sep 29th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Full moon at the moment wonít make it easy.They would of been out all night and tucked up agai well before daylight

Yeah we had bright Icey nights up there, ground frozen as soon as the sun went down but didnít factor in the full moon...makes sense because dawn and dusk even glassing a good 2km of bush line with nothing showing and all quiet in the bush on the fresh tracks...quiet an art to these sika

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Just watch the public land boundary along that side. The pines are private land. Smiley

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on Sep 29th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
Just watch the public land boundary along that side. The pines are private land. Smiley

Yeah noticed that, managed to just skirt the boundary line and work around the edge looking down the long straights but yeah nothing in daylight hours so it seemed.

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Iíve been in a valley and the river flats show heaps of tracks old and new and new ones following my previous days boot tracks  Cheesy
Cheesy
No droppings in the open on these flats though...theyíre more on the tracks in the Bush. Now I know that means they donít spend much time on the flats and must dart out and drink and nibble then shoot back in, it does not get morning sun only in the afternoon but I have walked up and down it and stalked surrounding bush too both at sunrise, and then from 3 until sundown. If you cannot spotlight or shoot at night then are there any tips that I could be focusing on? Good numbers and varying sizes judging from all the activity and picked up a nice 4pt horn too off a track, Iíve never tried sitting and calling but what would be a good place to start with

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I'm no expert. Head up the ridge where the sun is hitting early morning and very slowly stalk into the wind. Look for areas with broadleaf trees or clearings where they will be feeding. Maybe a bit early for new grass growth yet. They sometimes wander around nibbling fallen broadleaf leaves off the ground. If there is no real wind be aware of catabatic wind rising up hill as sun warms area in the morning.

Good luck.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Do not try calling them unless it's the roar and you can do a half decent call. If you spook one you could try a short meeep sound ( fawn call ) which may stop it running for a second or two.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SHOVELOPIKIS
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Cheers for that, I had wondered whether a call would put them off... itís such a pain to get up that ridge as itís quite the hike to get onto the north side and to have them being out in the middle of the night only 200m away at the river by camp. but hey gotta put in the hard yards for results I guess Grin
Iíll power up the hill before sunrise in the morning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards