Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Basic Rem 700 improvements (Read 856 times)
Aaron B
Forum Senior

Basic Rem 700 improvements
Sep 23rd, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

I've got a completely standard .308 rem 700. It's the super cheap blued, plastic stock blind mag version.

I've had it since new, put a few hundred steel cased copper jacketed rounds through it and a couple more boxes of hunting ammo.

It loves to throw shots. I say this having plenty of experience on other rifles that very rarely threw shots.

Almost one or two per five shot group usually as much as two inches out of the core group of 3/4 rounds.

It hasn't been a problem here in Tennessee hunting whitetails at a max of 40y, but i'd like to sort it out before heading to Colorado in 5 weeks for Elk season.

I've bedded two other rifles no problem. That's my first thought, as well as floating the stock.... if it's stiff enough.

I've also never used a proper copper cleaner on it so I ordered some KG 12 today. It's really done this from day one though.

Appreciate anyone's ideas. Especially those who might have done some basic low cost accurising of a plastic rem 700.

I don't really want to spend tonnes of money cause this was supposed to be my Tennessee bush gun.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Basic Rem 700 improvements
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Is the flier(s) the first 1 or 2 shots, or the last 1 or 2, or just random?
I'm wondering if it's something to do with the barrel heating up, I have heard of a similar issue and it was the warm barrel affecting the pressure bedding at the front of the stock (don't know what make of rifle though).

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I'd say it's random but I can't be 100% sure. I almost always shoot long strings of shots so the barrel does get very hot.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Usual tests first - torque action screws, ring screws and check the barrel is free floating. Probably a bedding issue, but not really worth bedding the basic stock. A Boyd’s laminated stock would be a cheap option, but would likely need to be bedded.

The barrel could also be a dud as Remington QC is not what it was. At least new barrels are less than half the price there than here if that’s the case. When I lived in the US I used Long Rifles Inc to re-barrel a rifle and the workmanship was outstanding and very quick. Hope you fix it, and good luck on CO.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Yeah this isn't going to be my long term gun so new barrels/stocks are out of the question. The thing only cost $380 US to start with.

All the hardware is tight.

I'm going to play around with the stock today because it's more than likely the problem. I might make things worse trying to hog out the barrel channel some more but take off stocks are very cheap and available on Ebay.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
I wouldn't float the barrel, unless you are also going to bed the stock.

I had one of the early Rem 700 stainless synthetic mountain rifles, I bedded the action and floated the barrel and epoxied some aluminium rod in the fore-end to stiffen it up. It shot really well after that.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
stug wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:38am:
I wouldn't float the barrel, unless you are also going to bed the stock.

I had one of the early Rem 700 stainless synthetic mountain rifles, I bedded the action and floated the barrel and epoxied some aluminium rod in the fore-end to stiffen it up. It shot really well after that.

Too late... I completely floated the channel but left the pressure points at the front... That made it awful. Next I removed the two little points so now it floats easily from the about 1.5" forward of the recoil lug to the very end... still worse than I began with.

I've played around with how the action sits in the stock. It really seems pretty firm in there, no play in any direction. I can't rock it at all

I weighed the stock and it's almost a pound lighter than a Boyd so i'd like to get it working if I can.

I'm really grateful to hear you got yours working well. There's hope. It was pissing with rain today at the range (not covered) so I only shot one big group of each scenario, first was about 4-5" group (5 shots) then after filing out the pressure points at the front that came down to a still dismal 2-3" 5 shots.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I'm really amazed how badly it shot.

My options are now... $30 and a bunch of my time to bed it. Or basically the same cost for a take off stock call it good for this season and build another Tikka for next year.

Stu, you think theres a good chance bedding will fix this?

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
It's worth a try and it won't cost much to do. With the plastic stocks you need to make sure you drill a few holes etc into the stock to get a mechanical lock of the bedding compound.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Moulded plastic stocks usually have residual release agent on their surfaces , make sure you rough up any surfaces where you want bedding compound to stick

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Yeah I roughed it up nicely with my rotary tool.

I also dremelled away the crossways ribs in the barrel channel and ground a piece of 1/8" aluminium bar to taper with the free floating contour i've left for the barrel. It's around 8" long and tapers from about 3/4" to 1/2" so it's pretty stout. I ran out of time to make a second aluminium piece but once I do I will epoxy those in place either side of the plastic flange that runs the length of the channel.

After that ill bed the action in.

Looking at it now it seems like the pocket for the recoil lug will end up like a big unre-enforced hinge. There's so little material in that area. I'd bet that any flex might result here and pinch on the recoil lug - to unknown effect.

I've got a $25 winning bid on a replacement stock that ends in 4 days just in case

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Remingtons usually respond very well ( unless there is damage or a factory fault ) if they are re bedded (glass,  or piller) , re crowned , the rear of bolt lugs are lapped to ensure full contact of the bearing area ,the chamber is recut and the barrel re headspaced .
This used to cost about $275, 25 years ago , I hate to think what it would cost now  Shocked

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
My money is on the crown to be honest. Get it re crowned first as it doesn't cost much or do it yourself with a drill, brass screw and bit of polish paste - videos on the net.

IP Logged

Southendstalka
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Trigger,bedding and develop a load. Wink
after market stock if budget allows.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
I forgot the trigger , you would be surprised how little of the lugs matches up with the action , or maybe you wouldn't  Grin Grin Grin

If you re do the crown yourself and it works ,then you have saved yourself the $'s you will have had to spend any way

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards