Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington 700 halfcock (Read 556 times)
chillax
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Remington 700 halfcock
Sep 19th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Looking into buying a remington 700 as a action to build on and was just wonder if anyone had any pictures or videos they could post of the halfcock modification on these?

I have heard some gunsmith's refuse to do the mod, what is the reasoning behind this?  Any info on the cons of the half ccock mod on the 700's?

I am pretty set on the 700 action and will be upgrading the trigger to a timney 510. the safety on this should be more than reliable in the hot moments but halfcock seems to be another step to ensure abit more safety on the hill..

Dont want to stir up a debate about when or how to load your rifle while stalking this has been done to death on this site already.. hope someone with a remington 700 can vlear this up cheers.

IP Logged

itrh

The FishNhunt Forum looks
interesting

Re: Remington 700 halfcock
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
If you are in the lead or are by yourself, why not simply rely on the safety catch as the manufacturer recommends?  Take ordinary good care of course, no need to invalidate the factory warranty then by altering your rifle action!

I guess by 'half co*k' you re referring to a slight engagement of the locking lugs with the bolt fully forward and the bolt handle left almost entirely in the "up" position.  That works on my M700 and on an old M722 I have.  Strictly, this does not follow the NZMSC-recommended "half open bolt" with a centimetre of cartridge showing, but on a co*k on closing action I reckon it is nigh-on impossible to close the bolt silently anyhow in this mode.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
I fully agree with the gunsmith, the engineers who designed that action most likely designed it to be carried loaded and with the safety on. If you are of the opinion that your engineering knowledge, as applied to firearms, is greater than the designers, then by all means consider a modification to the action.
It is also quite likely that the design is subject to failure, this is very apparent in the British 303 the smle, the safety is not to an acceptable for sporting purposes, it fails, and it is difficult to use.
Fortunately the design has a sticky point where the case firms up in its passage into the chamber, sufficient to hold the bolt, and bullet in a safe location.
This is a semi loaded state and has become known as the "halfcock" and when most hunters were taught and tested with the smle 303 as the main common rifle the instructors insisted the halfcock idea was used.
I am in partial agreement with them as far as the smle goes but feel that the gun designers have a better idea than most people.
This subject has been discussed a number of times and opinions differ.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
noelfj wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 8:08am:
I fully agree with the gunsmith, the engineers who designed that action most likely designed it to be carried loaded and with the safety on...

I disagree with that statement, the engineers most likely designed it to be carried unloaded
But I totally agree with listening to the gunsmith

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Cigar,

Perhaps I should define the word "Carried".

I do not mean to carry it loaded
from the shop to home
from home to the car
in the car
when walking about
when in rough stuff
when you met a policeman
when you are just about to stalk
But in the final stalk
when taking a shot
and so on and so forth

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Don't be set on the 700 action, they are pretty agricultural imo, spend a fair bit of $ to make them as good as other manufacturers are straight out of the box....

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Cigar wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 9:01am:
noelfj wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 8:08am:
I fully agree with the gunsmith, the engineers who designed that action most likely designed it to be carried loaded and with the safety on...

I disagree with that statement, the engineers most likely designed it to be carried unloaded
But I totally agree with listening to the gunsmith

When I worked for the Rem agents I asked the head design engineer about developing a "half co*k" for Rems , he asked "Why would any one want that ? that is what the safety is for " and there was no way that Rem would put in a ˝ co*k .
That was before  the recent litigation.
The 700 rifle inc action and trigger was designed by Mike Walker , an engineer and designer  ,not engineers

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

chillax
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice guys I hope to hear more from other well knowledged shooters on the forum..

I have read in the past about the Remington x triggers being recalled for safety defects and hence why I mentioned the timney 510 which should be more reliable but none the less I would test any trigger/safety catch before relying on it in a stalking situation.

I know alot of sako,tikka and ruger owners swear by them but information on the Remington has been hit and miss.

As for working with another action rugersst, I am open to idea's but I am quite set on the remington design as the options for aftermarket parts are endless so would still like to know in regards to safety.

I have looked into actions such as the stiller, razor ti, bernards but the cost is astronomical compared to Remington 700 even after I spend the money on blue printing and other upgrades.. and I dont have to deal with the paperwork and wait.. any other options I have missed would be helpful? Not too keen on magazines and prefer the BDL design.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 7:58am
Print Post  
You could course, use a smle action to do a rebuild, I can supply you with details of a proper safety arrange.
My safety adaption requires a small modification to the sear arrangement and some additional parts, it provides a stop for the sear lever and works well except that it is on the wrong side.

IP Logged

erniec
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Remington 700s do go off when safety taken off.
I know from experiencing it.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
The big problem with the Walker designed trigger on the Rem rifles is that it is easily adjusted by any one with a small bladed screwdriver , If your rifle is firing when the safety is let off then the trigger needs fixing , there is alot of advice on the net on how to do this .
In saying that , I have  a 700 which,  from new, went off when the safety was disengaged , I discovered a small piece of the foam packing in the box had broken off and was wedged in the trigger , so I guess bits of bush crud could have the same effect

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

shooternz

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:28am:
The big problem with the Walker designed trigger on the Rem rifles is that it is easily adjusted by any one with a small bladed screwdriver , If your rifle is firing when the safety is let off then the trigger needs fixing , there is alot of advice on the net on how to do this .
In saying that , I have  a 700 which,  from new, went off when the safety was disengaged , I discovered a small piece of the foam packing in the box had broken off and was wedged in the trigger , so I guess bits of bush crud could have the same effect

I had one go off caused by an unburnt kernel of powder in the mechanism, Lack of maintenance is the main cause of AD's  Rem 700 triggers are no better or worse than any other triggers if adjusted properly and maintained, many after market triggers are copies of Remingtons but nobody takes their manufacturers to court when they fail.

IP Logged

raydafish

Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:51am
Print Post  
i got Dean Maisey to do my 700 half co*k, very positive and silent to close when pushing forward on the bolt when closing.

IP Logged

chillax
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Raydafish could please provide some images or video to show this? I plan on using Dean also he has built a soild reputation of workmanship but would also like to see if it is worth the modification

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards