Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Tahr eradication proposed by the minister (Read 15143 times)
huntnfish
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Tahr eradication proposed by the minister
Reply #240 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Bollocks

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #241 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:01am:
I was replying to the suggest every licence holder should pay into a hunting fund.

that would be a gun lobby fund like nra. owning a firearm dose not mean youre a hunter.   it should be anyone who gets a hunting permit pays into a hunting fund to support gac and the likes but that would require a degree of privatisation of hunting permits, that would be the start of a slippery slope with nz hunting as would most lilely be dictated by guides and trophy hunters. would rather the gamble with the current system and politics.

many would disagree but id rather have no hunting opportunity then have hunting totaly controled by a private organisation. sometimes youre better off with then devil you know (doc) then the devil you dont know

I pretty much agree.
But.
The department of Conservation charging a fee which is used to protect hunters from the department of conservation????
How will that work?

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #242 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Would be a HUNTING GROUP,  not NRA. Jeez wayne.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #243 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
If we could get the GAC to take over all things hunting from DOC and charge us a fee for our permits, levy the overseas trophy hunters, etc they could get 10mill a year to run it pretty easy. We pay for a fishing & duck License, why not a big game licence.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #244 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:44am:
I was replying to the suggest every licence holder should pay into a hunting fund.

that would be a gun lobby fund like nra. owning a firearm dose not mean youre a hunter.   it should be anyone who gets a hunting permit pays into a hunting fund to support gac and the likes but that would require a degree of privatisation of hunting permits, that would be the start of a slippery slope with nz hunting as would most lilely be dictated by guides and trophy hunters. would rather the gamble with the current system and politics.

many would disagree but id rather have no hunting opportunity then have hunting totaly controled by a private organisation. sometimes youre better off with then devil you know (doc) then the devil you dont know

I pretty much agree.
But.
The department of Conservation charging a fee which is used to protect hunters from the department of conservation????
How will that work?

Doc wouldnt do that they would keep the cash. hence the reason the permit system would have to be privatised to collect revenue.  and we all know how privitisation works out in the end....

get 10 hunters in a room and you wont get all of them to agree on anything,  we are useless at unity on almost all issues so I beleive we are better off to be run by the current doc dictatorship.  id rather them let me go hunt whatever I want then someone (for example) greg duley set rules on size sex age etc even area im allowed to hunt.  get f**ked I like my freedom even if it does involve 1080 waro and culls!!!!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #245 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:01am
Print Post  
There is no answer that will satisfy everyone - I have no idea how to implement a workable plan re funding the conservation and safeguarding our herds, but like many - I feel it must be done.

Would need a massive re-working of DOC mindset and strategy to come close to working along those lines, but with input from GAC, NZDA etc, I'm sure that something can be achieved.

In which case GAC and NZDA need to be credible, and need to be seen to be, and to do that they need ALL our support.

"User Pays' has been around for a while now - we've mostly got used to the idea.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #246 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Striking a compulsory levy requires legislation. Currently I'm only aware of 2 hunting entities who can raise funds through a statutory levy and they are the GAC and Fish & Game.

Expecting this Government to pass new levy legislation for a hunting entity to raise funds to advocate against Gov's policies or intentions would border on ridiculous.

So, once again the circle takes us back to 2 organisations.

1. The GAC being well funded through a levy
2. NZDA being well funded through a large membership

So it beholds us all to support them both.

How to support the NZDA is obvious, and the more we support them the more accountable they will become to us hunters. That should drive effective change within the organisation.

We can support the GAC by acknowledging their worth publicly and being positive and encouraging about their role, and helping the Minister hear that we are right behind them (the GAC).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #247 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Bear in mind how the minutia of DoC's internal workings are stacked against Hunters. Even if a political party that was pro hunters won the next election the pro hunter Minister of Conservation  would be stymied at every turn by the senior layer of career conversationalists (my spelling Roll Eyes) that inhabit the dark reaches of that organisation. As far back as its inception (1987) they have worked hard to ensure their ultimate goal is pre human inhabitation for as much of the conservation estate as they can muster. They even managed to have the original name for the department changed, from Ministry of Conservation and Recreation, to just Conservation. They wanted to be beholden to no one.
Now legislation has made a rod for their own back just a wee bit, but make no mistake, if they managed to get hold of Hunter provided funds, they would re-purpose them in a heartbeat.
A cleanout of the career rank and file would be of assistance, but more importantly would be some way to leverage changes in legislation. And Councils and other such hunter representations will not be able to manage that. For that to occur you need a political party heavily on your side Cool

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #248 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
yep

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #249 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:35am:
A cleanout of the career rank and file would be of assistance, but more importantly would be some way to leverage changes in legislation. And Councils and other such hunter representations will not be able to manage that. For that to occur you need a political party heavily on your side Cool

Or a political party that bows to pressure - and the pressure we would be able to exert if we could all get our ducks in order would be considerable.

BC said it a page back - give GAC and NZDA that support and I believe you will see changes.

And edit ........ he actually said it this page ........

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Reply #250 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
In Aussie the have the Sporting Shooters Assn. , And being a member is one of the legitimate reasons for firearms ownership. This was done after the gun buy back and at the time caused much angst amongst weapons owners that you had to join or get a letter from a property owners as your legitimate reason ...

What it ended up creating was a monster political lobby group with 190,000 members and over $20 000 000.00 in earnings each year !! When push comes to shove they have a lot of power and certainty win consesions from government and keep the anti gun lobby( eg Greens) accountable for there constant misinformation campaign !!

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #251 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
i_e wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
In Aussie the have the Sporting Shooters Assn. , And being a member is one of the legitimate reasons for firearms ownership. This was done after the gun buy back and at the time caused much angst amongst weapons owners that you had to join or get a letter from a property owners as your legitimate reason ...

What it ended up creating was a monster political lobby group with 190,000 members and over $20 000 000.00 in earnings each year !! When push comes to shove they have a lot of power and certainty win consesions from government and keep the anti gun lobby( eg Greens) accountable for there constant misinformation campaign !!

Bugger me - that almost sounds like a plan ................

Just gotta get 'gonehuntin' on board now - shouldn't be hard  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #252 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  

just for you ill reword it ,'WITH HUNTERS rather than licenced FIREARM OWNERS

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #253 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:26am:
NZDA being well funded through a large membership

cant see that happening either,

need a new party in parliament to look after hunters interest

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #254 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
i_e wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:50pm:

Bugger me - that almost sounds like a plan ................

Just gotta get 'gonehuntin' on board now - shouldn't be hard  Roll Eyes

totally agree ,im a member of the SSAA for that very reason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards