Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Tahr eradication proposed by the minister (Read 22161 times)
kiwishooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Tahr eradication proposed by the minister
Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Has anyone seen this?

This was posted on the Hutt Valley facebook page a couple of hours ago..........what should the reaction from the hunters be??

Attention ALL Hunters, Want to shoot a BIG Bull Tahr? See Below!

Minister Sage has now come up with what Greg Duley has aptly termed Tahrmageddon. Her latest un-consulted edict is to require at least 17500 further tahr to be removed beyond the 5000 she said they had shot to mid July. This includes 10000 from the Rakaia-Rangitata and Gammack-Two Thumb area and to keep going until they remove that many – not clear there are that many so east coast hunting will be stuffed for a decade. Mt Cook NP and Westland NP are to be targeted to zero density. Hunters are to be given the task of controlling tahr in the remote experience zones which have expensive restricted access and the most challenging terrain so the intention is clear – to set us up to fail then step in.

The shooting on the east coast will be in the most accessible areas to rec hunters. They now also intend to shoot not only nannies and juveniles but also 30% of identifiable bulls. As her justification she is using the ignored for a decade Himalayan tahr control plan 1993 (HTCP) however that’s BS and the plan has multiple requirements for consultation which have been ignored. This is her dogma driven final solution for tahr. There is no justification for this and it is simply her exterminationist dogma.

Her aim is to start the culling Sept 30th and finish it by mid November this year. If hunters are slow to react it will be too late, her intent is clear – to have the tahr dead before hunters have the chance to react effectively.

The NZ Tahr Foundation is likely to be the vehicle to challenge this and legal options are being explored, funding has been secured. For the first time the AATH guys, the guides, rec hunters are all on the same side adamantly opposed to her cleansing exercise, all have much to lose as does the nation – many tens of millions of visitor income.

Contact the minister and ask her to cease the intended action and hold meaningful consultation with all hunters as required by the HTCP, ask for the data to demonstrate the need, ask for maps of the areas affected etc etc. Note your concerns.

The Minister of Conservations email is eugenie.sage@parliament.govt.nz

We urgently need bulk numbers to grind her office to a standstill and create attention, nice approaches and reason do not work with her, GAC and the tahr community have tried it and failed, she is not listening yet. Also raise the issue with as many ministers and MP’s as you can.

Spread the word. If she succeeds with this on tahr then its likely various deer herds are next and when there is little left to hunt why do you need firearms ?

Be polite please, ask lots of questions, note she has at most 20 days to respond and do it ASAP. Bulk lobbying is one of our strengths, use it.

Thanks, HVNZDA

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Tahr eradication proposed by the minister
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Your title is already misleading. ''Tahr eradication''.

A big cull is not eradication..

The post emotionally unbalanced, but im sure you will get a big response. 

I doubt they could be shot down to zero on the West Coast anyway so she is using  emotionally driven verbal diarrhea to wage war on Tahr.

Talking through a hole in her head in other words.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
My thoughts are that this minister is making decisions based on her own personal agenda.

She was opposed to the forming of the GAC so within 12 months of getting the Conservation portfolio she is having a review of the GAC.........even before that was announced she basically said at the NZDA conference she wanted to get rid of GAC and before that she was inferring to NZDA that the GAC wasn't required..........NZDA disputed that and informed the minister why it should remain.

Now we have the minister, who hates Tahr and actually referred to Tahr and Deer at the NZDA conference as "pests" making decisions based on her own personal agenda.

There is information that dispute the Tahr herd increases she is advocating, now we have her proposing that S&D by DOC will be undertaken on easily accessible land by hunters and that foot hunters will control the inaccessible land.

In other words setting hunters up to fail, she is giving the impression of consulting with the groups involved with the HTCP and then ignores the information from the discussions and seems to be driving her own personal agenda.

That makes me ask the question is she a fit person to be a minister??

Perhaps it is time for all hunters and their friends and family to start writing letters and emails to all political parties and the  PM (Jacinda Ardern) and ask the question, Is Eugenie Sage a suitable minister given her decisions seem to be based on personal agenda and unsubstantiated figures not scientific, and consultative discussion with the affected parties. 

Point out why the minister is NOT a fit person to have as a minister in charge of Conservation, Land Information and associate minister for Environment.

Use our voice to influence the Labour Government that if they allow the minister to carry on in this roll they along with Green's & NZ First will not be returning to power for a second term or anytime in the foreseeable future.

The choice is ours either we say something or we start buying all our meat from the supermarket.

The time to act is NOW

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:47am:
Your title is already misleading. ''Tahr eradication''.

A big cull is not eradication..

The post emotionally unbalanced, but im sure you will get a big response. 

I doubt they could be shot down to zero on the West Coast anyway so she is using  emotionally driven verbal diarrhea to wage war on Tahr.

Talking through a hole in her head in other words. Too much fervour and not enough thought, or all brillecream and no socks as we used to say.

Shame that a person like this has been put in power and willing to start a Tahr war without consultation.

I will be remembering this come the next Elections.

Headcase given the extra funding she received in the budget if you think that she won't try to eradicate Tahr while she is in charge of DOC I think you are dreaming.

She wants another 17,500 Tahr destroyed in the easily accessible country that foot hunters could target and then have foot hunters target the inaccessible areas...........this is nothing more than setting foot hunters up to fail so she can order Tahr in those areas destroyed as well and show hunters in a negative way to the public.

I have also been told that the minister is requiring 30% of the bulls to be destroyed as well.

Advice given to the minister

https://www.doc.govt.nz/about-us/statutory-and-advisory-bodies/nz-conservation-a...

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Going to be a lot of very angry tahr hunters out there. We all know culling of nannies is important but this is going to far.
I wonder who the heli operator is that is flying Doc round, they may not want to come across a bunch of AATH guides in a dark alley.

IP Logged

bowmad

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
The problem appears to be two fold
1. The Greens are in govt and have power.
2. Minister Sage has her own agenda.

In my view rather than lobby individual causes it would be better to lobby NZ first and Labour to get rid of her.
Better to cut off the snakes head than treat the wound Smiley.

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Email sent....

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
To 'eugenie.sage@parliament.govt.nz'
for good order!!!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Of course she isn’t fit to be a minister.
No one voted for her.
She’s in the Green Party so she can enact her own personal agenda.
She has zero regard for people that enjoy the outdoors but don’t share her idealism.

IP Logged

Kuzi

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
kiwishooter wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:31am:

I wonder if we should be contact the members of the NZ Conservation Authority.  It looks like it was there advice that recommended the tahr cull.  Anyone know these people

Kerry Prendergast (Interim Chairperson) | David Barnes | Gerry McSweeney | Jan Riddell | Mick Clout |
Rauru Kirikiri | Mark Brough | Robyn Jebson | Tony Lepper | Nicole Anderson

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Kuzi wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

I wonder if we should be contact the members of the NZ Conservation Authority.  It looks like it was there advice that recommended the tahr cull.  Anyone know these people

Kerry Prendergast (Interim Chairperson) | David Barnes | Gerry McSweeney | Jan Riddell | Mick Clout |

Yes but what am I supposed to do? Piss off one of my best customers?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
From DOC
Quote:
14 September 2018
Peter Wilson
Federated Mountain Clubs
Dear Peter and Jan
Proposal for Reducing Tahr Population
Thank you for your organisation’s participation in the Tahr Liaison Group meeting on 29 August 2018.
As you are aware, the increased population of Himalayan tahr is causing concern for the health of the indigenous vegetation of the alpine and sub-alpine ecosystems.
The purpose of the meeting was to seek the group’s input on a proposed approach as to how stakeholders and the Department of Conservation can work together to address that concern, by bringing tahr numbers down to within limits set in the Himalayan Tahr Control Plan 1993 (HTCP).
Following the meeting, an amended approach that takes into account matters raised by stakeholders was discussed with the Director General of Conservation.
In recognition of stakeholders’ commitment to assist achieving the targeted reduction in tahr numbers on public conservation land, the Director General agreed that we follow the amended approach.
Proposal to the Tahr Liaison Group
The amended approach and proposal to stakeholders involves:
• NZDA, Safari Club International and Game Animal Council work together with their members to remove at least 2,500+ tahr from public conservation land and provide evidence and data
• WARO operators to remove 3,000 tahr from public conservation land and provide evidence and data
• AATH operators to remove 1,500 tahr from public conservation land using offsets and provide evidence and data
• Professional Hunting Guides to remove 500 tahr from public conservation land and provide evidence and data
Control by the Department
Over the same period, the Department will remove 10,000 animals (excluding Westland/Tai Poutini and Aoraki Mt Cook National Parks) from above 305 meters (1,000 feet) before the breeding starts mid November 2018 from Management Units 1 (Rakaia-Rangitata) and Unit 3 (Gammack-Two Thumb). More specifically:
• The 10,000 animals DOC will remove, will be made up of 3,000 male tahr and 7,000 “other” tahr which will be a mix of nannies, juveniles and kids (excluding animals removed from the Westland/Tai Poutini and Aoraki Mt Cook National Parks)
• DOC control operations will target highest density areas in MU 1 & MU 3 as per the tactical plan before the breeding season starts in mid November 2018
• DOC will not undertake control operations in any management units between the 15th of November 2018 and 15th of January 2019. DOC will undertake control operations in the Northern and Southern exclusion zones and risk zones over this period and all tahr will targeted in these zones
• DOC will resume aerial control operations after 15th January 2019 as per the tactical plan if they have not achieved their target of 10,000 animals (excluding animals removed from the Westland/Tai Poutini and Aoraki Mt Cook National Parks)
• All tahr will be targeted in the Westland/Tai Poutini and Aoraki Mt Cook National Parks are per the 1993 plan.
• DOC will stop control operations in the Wilderness Areas by the 30th of March 2019.
We are planning to commence this control work before 30 September 2018.
Review in April 2019
While we are keen to see the tahr reduction target achieved through the approach outlined above, the department is committed to having the overall target achieved, whether or not stakeholders are successful with their contributions.
The contribution from recreational hunting groups (NZDA, TIG, SCI and GAC) is expected to result in the removal of at least 2500 tahr from public conservation land.
During April 2019, the department will assess the data provided by stakeholders and undertake whatever further control operations we consider necessary to take out any shortfall of animals not achieved. That is, if by the 1st of May 2019 the 2500 target has not been reached by recreational groups, the department will remove the shortfall.
Tahr cull information
To monitor our overall progress toward the tahr reduction target, the department will need cull information from participating stakeholders.
We are asking that you work together to provide monthly cull figures from each group that has a target as set out earlier, and that you provide the information by the first Friday of each month (an email address will be forwarded to you shortly).
The information will need to include the GPS location for each animal removed from public conservation land. It will not need to include what the split of ‘male’ and ‘other’ tahr concerned.
Monthly updates of progress will be posted on the DOC website.
Once the tahr population has been brought back down within the limits of the HTCP, the department will work with stakeholders to set a future level of control per year (and how to achieve it), so the population does not exceed the HTCP limits
I would appreciate your feed back on this amended approach and whether or not your organisation will participate in it.
Yours sincerely
Andy Roberts
Director Operations – Eastern South Island

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks TH Id forgotten about that when making my post this morning.. Slipped my mind what with all the other stuff to think about..  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Gus

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:53pm:
Kuzi wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Yes but what am I supposed to do? Piss off one of my best customers?

depends how strongly you feel about it I guess

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
So , question.

I was only barely alive when the HTCP was released with a limit of 10,000 animals.

For those who know, what was the tahr hunting like when this limit was achieved?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards