Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Calling .223 Tikka T3 users - 1/12 or 1/8 Twist? (Read 398 times)
Fair Chase
Just Joined

Calling .223 Tikka T3 users - 1/12 or 1/8 Twist?
Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Hi all I am looking at buying a .223 Tikka T3x for my son to start him off on goats and fallow. I am just after some practical advice for barrel twist selection. I have looked at lots on Youtube and various forums and get the basic concepts. I am buying the rifle to shoot deer 200yards tops most likely. I don't reload so am looking at factory ammo. Probably Hornady 60 grain Whitetail or Federal 62 grain Fusion (whatever shoots). I may look at a couple of other options. Bottom line I doubt I will probably never use anything over 62 grain given whats available as a hunting round. My question does anybody out there own a Tikka T3 .223 1/12 and shoot these 60 and 62 grain rounds?? How do they go?? I am just thinking they may still be light enough to shoot ok through the 1/12?? I guess plenty of deer have been shot with 55 grain projectiles but I thoungt maybe the slightly heavier round maybe beneficial. I am just trying to make a good decision before I spend. Any advice appreciated.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Re: Calling .223 Tikka T3 users - 1/12 or 1/8 Twist?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Thist Rate Stability Calculator: Click

It will tell you what twist rate you need for any given bullet weight.
I personally would always go for a 1:8. Three years ago reloading was only something I heard of and thought I would never do. Today I enjoy it very much. Point is you never know whats happening so future proof yourself with the quicker twist.

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Thanks for that I will enter in the numbers and see where it ends up. Hear what you're saying about the reloading most of my mates are into it...........at the moment too many pies not enough fingers! Cheers!

IP Logged

Koala
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I have a t3 with 1-8 twist shoots 55-60-65 all very well haven't tried any thing lighter or heavier

if you do end up reloading for it,65gr sierra gamekings do the job for me on reds and sika
55gr hornady soft points also work well

I would say 1-12 for 55 and under and 1-8 for 55 and up

its all good

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks Koala food for thought, makes sense. I think reloading might be a natural progression for me at some point.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I bought a T3 .223 with 1-8 twist a few years back and its had constant use on goats & deer ever since.

In fact it would have to be my favourite rifle and has accounted for ALOT of Sika & Fallow so it now holds alot of sentimental value and will NEVER be sold!

Mine has a 19 inch barrel with DPT overbarrel suppressor, I upgraded to a Stug carbon fibre stock so it's a very lightweight yet leathel package.

As for ammo, I'm reloading 55 gr Sierra projectiles which have been leathel on everything but at the moment I'm trying out some heavier 63 gr Sierras which so far are very promising.

Stick with the 1-8 twist rifle  Wink

As you say your not into reloading then seriously look at the Hornady Training Ammo as its cost effective in price but also downing game.

I've been using the same Hornady projectiles in reloads and have been very impressed by the results where you can pick up bulk projectiles very cheaply.

Also bare in mind Belmont Ammunition sell top quality .223 ammo also so your not limited merely by what's in the shop.

I started a thread on my rifle when I got it

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1454536935/0

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that. I am angling towards the 1/8 twist. Pretty much only shoot deer, no varmints, no paper. Great to hear of your success with .223 on the deer. Ive just never shot deer with anything less than .308 so not sure what to expect.

I see you have put the VX3 2.5 - 8 on your .223. Thats exactly what I was going to do. I have one on my Tikka .308 but have just upgraded my .308 scope to stretch out a bit more range with CDS etc. I will put my 2.5 - 8 on the .223. I am going to take my old T3 stock off my .308 and put it on the .223 after I have adjusted the length of pull for my son who is only ten. Then I will put the new T3x stock on my .308. (advice so far is this will work??).

Basically want to get a rifle shooting well as I guess thats part of the joy of shooting the smaller calibre. Don't want to end up with disappointment.

I am looking at DPT can also.

All for a good cause with my boy to get him out into the hills and away from screens!

Thanks for tip re Belmont Ammo.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Fair Chase wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Thanks for that. I am angling towards the 1/8 twist. Pretty much only shoot deer, no varmints, no paper. Great to hear of your success with .223 on the deer. Ive just never shot deer with anything less than .308 so not sure what to expect.

I see you have put the VX3 2.5 - 8 on your .223. Thats exactly what I was going to do. I have one on my Tikka .308 but have just upgraded my .308 scope to stretch out a bit more range with CDS etc. I will put my 2.5 - 8 on the .223. I am going to take my old T3 stock off my .308 and put it on the .223 after I have adjusted the length of pull for my son who is only ten. Then I will put the new T3x stock on my .308. (advice so far is this will work??).

Basically want to get a rifle shooting well as I guess thats part of the joy of shooting the smaller calibre. Don't want to end up with disappointment.

I am looking at DPT can also.

All for a good cause with my boy to get him out into the hills and away from screens!

Thanks for tip re Belmont Ammo.

For years all I hunted with was a 7x57 and was a bit hesitant in using a .223 on deer until I came across a guy who was using one and made the jump and have not been disappointed. I'm a big fan of the .223

I also have a couple of Sako .222's now where there's no hesitation in using them on deer either!

I have a VX3 2.5-8 on my .223 after I sent it back to the Leupold custom shop to get CDS turrets installed but apparently you can buy similar turrets as an aftermarket item now... I think I saw a post some where on them.

Due to me being a bush hunter I have all my scopes zeroed for 100 mtrs and with a few clicks then there zeroed for 200 or further. The CDS takes away estimating hold over.

Not sure about the stocks and whether they can be interchangeable but someone on the forum should know  Huh

Another tip I can suggest is swap out the screws on the tikka rings and stock to stainless steel screws. You can get them through Gunworks for only a few dollars.

You won't go wrong with a DPT suppressor but if funds are tight and you already have one for your .308 then just use that suppressor on the .223

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
8 twist. The 12 just limits you. Sorta like the 22-250. Wrong twist. We have been running 55gr Barnes lately. It is pulverising the deer. All head and neck shot. Dpt at the end with stainless muzzle baffle.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
The .223 is a very underestimate caliber in the right hands. Just like seventenths I use my .223 for pretty much everything from magpies to red deer. Yes, I have to pass on shots every now and then that a bigger caliber might still be able to pull off but that's fine with me and only a small trade off for a very light, short rifle that I can carry all day long without even noticing.

++ on the DPT as well

IP Logged

Fair Chase
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks looks like I'm heading for the 1/8.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I'd say go 1;8.
Mine had problems grouping with Winchester 43g hollow points at 1 1/2 to 2" groups but was deadly accurate with 50gPSP Hunting and fishing loads and Hornady training ammo.
Didn't try anything heavier as that is the preserve of the 7/08.

IP Logged

ChrisW
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I would go with 1/8 twist as it can shoot a wider range of projectile weights.
If you are only going to run lighter weight projectiles then you would get slightly more velocity out of the 1/12 as compared to the 1/8 with the same bullet, but would be limited to the lighter projectile weight.

1/12 is probably better for a dedicated varmint gun, and 1/8 for an all-rounder.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I have a tikka 1 in 12.
Likes 50gr Vmax with less than 12mm group for 5 shots.
55gr,  Vmax18mm
55gr SP 1inch
55gr Sierra blitz 1.5 inches.

Not worth trying anything larger.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards