Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Application for lease agreement with DOC (Read 804 times)
kiwishooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Application for lease agreement with DOC
Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Has anybody seen this?

Please find attached the information/application that DOC has received with regards to a Lease Agreement in the Whirinaki area from Manaaki Holdings Group.  Submission currently CLOSE ON Friday 28 September 2018.

Please make sure to open all the attachments and links headed as Application Documents at the bottom of the page as several of them then open up a number of other key documents and information sources.  https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2018/applic...
In short; this application seeks to have an exclusive lease on the footprint area of land required to build a dining hall and chalets in an area that will be known as Moerangi Camp.  This is to complement the existing ‘Collins’ Camp’ and expand the current 2 day walk to a three day, two night guided nature walking experience.

This current concession currently sees approximately 10-12 people PER SEASON taking part in this activity, however this applicant is seeking permission for not only a new overnight venue and an extension of the guided walking on offer; BUT a concession for this to expand to potentially over 6500 per year.  They are seeking to have a limit of 25 persons per day as part of their concession which is to operate for 9 months per year – September to May Inclusive; for almost 30 years -  through till 2046.

They are also offering as part of the concession application, for them to undertake Deer Culling (in their own words; in addition to other pest control work) in the 3 month off season of June, July, August.

What is NOT in the application is that:

·         If this is granted in its current form, that it will almost certainly cease all hunting in the area from the end of Okahu Road, through to Skips and Roger’s Huts, on to the Moerangi hut and the presumed exit near Minginui.  If it gets further extended to a 5 day walk, that exclusion area would expand hugely.

o   There is no mention at all of this in the application as this is only the applicants ‘proposal’ but should it become operative or approved by DOC, the applicant will go straight to DOC and seek to have it a safe place for walkers and thus excluding hunters and firearms.  This is where DOC would be expected to apply these conditions once the application is approved – and then not able to rescind the decision on the application we have at hand right now.

o   It is currently in place on most Great Walks that there is to be NO HUNTING within 500m on either side of the track for designated walkway (and there is currently no reason why this could not be sought by the applicant once the concession was granted).  In this instance, there is nothing to say in the application that they (guide and clients) MUST stick to the designated track and it is well known, that this operator currently takes his clients well ‘off track’ and into the various streams and up ridged etc so this would further compound the exclusion zone.  This is because he is seeking an extension of his current concession and the current concession appears to enable him to do this of right.

·         They say in the application that it is the second and FINAL stage of the concession that will enable them to have a 3 day/2 night journey, but other places in the application they speak of a 5 day walk and some of the references also refer to this becoming a Great Walk.

·         This concessionaire is also currently undertaking ‘informal hunting guiding’ in this area and has done for some time.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Re: Application for lease agreement with DOC
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Had to look up the area as not familiar with NI at all... How many local hunters visit the area yearly and is there anywhere else for them to go for a good hunt?

Tourism fills up coffers no doubt, its hard to compete with that...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Its a very popular hunting area. have hunted  in some of it.
used to be closed to WARO, set aside for rec hunting.
Now a tourism business might stuff that up

IP Logged

bowmad

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Why is a public area being given to one company at the exclusion of all others or have I got this wrong.  Our land- Roll Eyes yeah right

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
bowmad wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 12:18pm:
Why is a public area being given to one company at the exclusion of all others or have I got this wrong.  Our land- Roll Eyes yeah right

They are only leasing a small area to put buildings on, BUT it is a real concern that this will likely lead to a "No hunting" rule due to trampers numbers in Sept to May, then because the company is conducting so-called culling operations in Jun to Aug.
Your standard DOC hunting permit said no firearms shall be discharged:
- in the vicinity of huts, tracks, campsites...
- within 500m of a Great Walk Hut or track
- in a manner that endangers, frightens or annoys members of the public
Points 1 and 3 are very vague. How close is in the vicinity? What if my single shot several km away annoys some anti-gun member of the public?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
That one has been done some years ago it was over the hill from the Okahu and Rogers area and then went out down the Whirinaki River.

There were showers and all sorts of shit in there. I even found a concrete mixer in the scrub along with some very nice 6 x 2 timber.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Submitted

IP Logged

kune

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Do people still use Collins camp? I thought it was a forgotten failed enterprise.
TJ are you talking about the set up that was at the bull ring? Another attempt at tourism that failed in the Whirinaki.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Thats the one mate. The lads at Ruatahuna did a great job on the tracks

IP Logged

kune

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Hard to see it becoming a great walk. It doesn’t have the views or scenery that the lake does.
TJ there are some interesting bits and pieces at the bullring, I haven’t been there for a while but I’m pretty sure that 6x2 was still there. Whatever had been there was gone and just old plumbing pipes and other odds and ends slowly being swallowed by the bush. A very nice bbq table too I think

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
The first time I went through there the hut was still there, but the second time was when the hut had been removed and there was only the small tin shed that had a hot water cylinder in it. Showers for the trampers.
Walking the track from Bull ring to Central Te Hoe was interesting with wall to wall stinging nettle. You were doing bloody well to get through there without getting stung Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards