Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic springtime.....YEAH RIGHT! (Read 954 times)
Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

springtime.....YEAH RIGHT!
Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Decided it was time for a night out to have a look at a new spot and see what was lurking around. Left home mid morning and headed into a DoC carpark not too far from home. This was the first offroad trip in the recently purchased hilux and we quickly found out that the ruts in the track were deciding which direction we headed with the tyres we had. By the time we got to the carpark we decided to have lunch before setting off.

After lunch we headed down the track towards a creek I wanted to have a look into.

A couple of hours and a few rest stops later we arrived at the creek and had a bit of a glass up the gullies. With nothing around and a very cold breeze blowing we found a sheltered spot to set up the new Macpac Minaret and toast a couple of marshmellows.

Had a fairly early dinner of BC beef curry and some instant spud then had a quick walk up the gully for a bit more glassing before dark. Still nothing to be seen and the breeze wasn't really in our favour so we retired to the tent just after dark.
As the night went on it got rather cold which had me waking up every couple of hours to try and get in a warmer position. Ryan said he was warm every time I asked him which was nice to hear. 2am we both dashed out for a leak then quickly back into the sleeping bags. I woke again at 5 and decided it was time to put the down jacket and beanie on as the temp had really plummeted.

Because it was the first outing in the tent we had brought the thermometer to check how much warmer it was inside compared to out. 0630 we had a look at the temp in the tent which was a balmy -2, chucked the thermometer outside for 5 mins and had a look which showed a bloody cold -7. We got out and had breakfast with the intention of going for another hunt but we were so cold by the time we had eaten that we headed back to the warmth of the sleeping bags after a bit of glassing from camp during breakfast.

Once it warmed up a bit I got out and did some more glassing up the gullies but still nothing seen. We leisurely packed up camp and had a nice easy walk back out to the truck where a bit more four wheel driving was done to get out of there.

Overall a good walk to keep the legs and shoulders in shape. Pretty happy with the tent although with the very cold temp and no breeze overnight condensation was a bit of a problem especially when the sun hit and the ice under the fly melted. Looking at the photo it may have been better if the fly was a bit tighter.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Re: springtime.....YEAH RIGHT!
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Nice one. Good just to be out for a walk and a camp with the kids, isn't it  Cool

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Yeah mate you've got to keep the outer off the inner, same as with my Olympus.
Nice looking area and a great way to spend time with the young fella.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Bit cold eh?  Cheesy I hope that trip I am going to do in couple of weeks is going to be a lot warmer than that!  Smiley

Good looking area, I am yet to start trusting wide open places like this as never ever have seen anything if good bush cover isn't nearby.  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards