Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) High powered air rifle (Read 2176 times)
NZVarminter
Donor Member

Re: High powered air rifle
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
started with a hand pump, but it was faulty which didnt help, and is a PITA...endued up buying a dive bottle.

I dont use it much so it can sit for 6 months and not loose any charge.

Here is my power curve

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Get an MCT Daystate, power curves will become a thing of the past  Cool

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:18am
Print Post  
ChrisHB wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Get an MCT Daystate, power curves will become a thing of the past  Cool

Or just get your FAL and buy a 22lr for $400 or $500 and save yourself a couple of grand.  Your gonna need a FAL for a pcp rifle if you go down that path which sort of defeats the purpose IMO

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Yes and no. My nearest neighbour on one side is 100 metres away. Below us there is a large basin of lifestyle properties starting maybe 1/2 km away. In the past I had one poorly planned 22rf shot richo away towards those properties. Never never again. My Theoben PCP is  much safer.  To date I have shot around 60 rabbits with it mostly by firing from an upstairs window.
As a firearms owner I also recognise that it just isn't PC to fire a 22rf even a suppressed one in my area for reasons additional to safety.

I have also shot a few rabbits close up with my HW80 177 springer but you need to be sure of a decent hit with it for a humane kill.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:48am
Print Post  
possum_shooter wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:18am:
Or just get your FAL and buy a 22lr for $400 or $500 and save yourself a couple of grand.  Your gonna need a FAL for a pcp rifle if you go down that path which sort of defeats the purpose IMO

Hell you can get .22's for $200. My Browning with a suppressor and CCU quiets is quieter than any air rifle. Quiets are around 700fps, so I'm not sure how that fits in with ricochets vs pellets.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
My experience is that the slow moving stuff will ricochet easier than HV and 22rf projectiles have a greater mass than air rifle pellets and will consequently whistle off further into the wild blue yonder. And is for quietness my PCP is also suppressed but probably still gives a crack which is a tad loader than my suppressed 22rf. Not much in it though.

Having said all that our shooting area circumstances/safety zones/presence of anti neighbours etc may all differ and a canned rf would be the first choice in most cases.
Also the ownership of an expensive PCP was something I couldn't entertain when I was younger and would accept that it would not ge a first up purchase choice for most starting out shooters.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I believe there are lighter quiet loads available from CCI, 29 grain (CBs, Conical Ball iirc). Which is getting into air rifle territory. So you could pay a lot of money for a PCP + extras, or go for a cheap .22 with CB quiet ammo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

With .22 quiets suppressed all you can hear is the click of the trigger mechanism and then the impact.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:07am
Print Post  
That's when you pull out the HMR.  I bit noisy but no ricochet from the little 17 grain pills.  Grin

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:25am
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai  is quite correct in his two last posts. Our nearest neighbours are again about 100yds away and I prefer they don't even know I'm shooting. My PCP has a suppressor as well and it's without doubt quieter than even the most pissy rimfire load. (I used to play with CB and BB caps as a kid).

Besides the stealth, the carry is the other issue. Rimfire subs are bad for richochets and we have various houses about 300yds away over the ridge from our top paddock. You don't even have to think about the issue with the PCP. I shot a rabbit the other day through the head at 62yds from the carport and you would have had to pass it up with any rimfire because of where a richochet would have gone.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Ummmmm, 17 grain pills from the .17hmr rimfire don't ricochet.
Just saying  Smiley

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #25 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I thought I said "silent" was desirable...

If I didn't care, I'd drag out one of the suppressed centrefires and blaze away. One of the neighbours uses his 12 gauge to cull the chooks that have given up laying but it pisses the other neighbours off bigtime.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #26 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Yes you did but your statement "I shot a rabbit the other day through the head at 62yds from the carport and you would have had to pass it up with any rimfire because of where a richochet would have gone. " is incorrect.  I was just correcting you.  Nothing about noise in that statement, your just taking about ricochet
Just having a laugh with you mate.  Don't take it to seriously  Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Not that we have convinced the bloke who started this thread that he needs a rimfire how about a AR15 with a 22LR upper?

Does everyone hate shotguns, remember this is for shooting possums in trees...

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 7:18am
Print Post  
possum_shooter wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:40am:
Ummmmm, 17 grain pills from the .17hmr rimfire don't ricochet.
Just saying  Smiley

Ha ha anything will ricochet in the right circumstance and then it's just a matter of how much residual energy remains for mishief to occur - just saying  Smiley

Also interesting that this thread has done the usual - an OP asks a question and very soon he is getting advise not on his original question. Ah, forums  Cheesy

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #29 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I thought I said "silent" was desirable...

Thought Id better point out that airrifles of this power are quiet but not totally silent.. They do make quite a noise subjectivly on a calm night and your only 50 meters from a neibours house.. anything sounds too loud when you doing your best to be totaly stealth mode..  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards