Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sub 16 inch 308 barrell users (Read 740 times)
Koala
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

sub 16 inch 308 barrell users
Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
hello everyone
I have poured over a lot of information on this forum over the last couple of years and found all my questions answered without having to post
however I am after information from you fullas (and ladies) who have had or are using sub 16inch 308s (or other calibres) as I am looking to chop mine at 13-15 inch's

I would specifically like to hear

how far you are shooting
what loads you are using -fps,projectile,powder
your suppressor handling it ok
would you go longer if you where to do it again or shorter

I have read a lot of tikkas(?) posts regarding 12inch 300 blk and found info very useful,also seen some from kimjon(?)with his 9inch 223

I bush hunt and all my shots have been under 60 meters,sika and reds

the rifle I am looking to chop is a model 7 308 with a dan hardy gen 5 suppressor was thinking of chopping at 13-15 inch
thoughts?

I have tried the search function so if this has been covered please point me in the right direction

Thanks cole

its all good

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: sub 16 inch 308 barrell users
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
basically you will loosing velocity to gain portability.... you can load cleaver to get some back but not all..... there is someone (Scott Trail maybe??) using one with 10" barrel but he dials it up for anything much past hundy....trajectory/velocity will be .30/30....7.62x39mmish.

Ive got a shorty x39mm and today took the .308 with 21" barrel bush bashing because there is possibility of a 300 yard shot and the wee gun would be stretching things...... when I was young and dumber I felt rifle HAD to be short for carrying in the tight bush....now Im older and not so dumb Roll Eyes I slow down and enjoy the walk and longer barrel isnt too much of an issue.....

IP Logged

ponies
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have had 3 short rifles a remington copy (I cant remember the brand) 13inch barrel, A remington with a 14inch barrel and a Tikka with a 16inch barrel all in .308.
My feeling on them is the crown of the barrel has a fair bit to do with it, ask any target shooter ,and when they are shortened it is hard to get the crown as good as factory some do some dont.
Personally I will never shorten another barrel.
As far as performance goes they shot ok at the range with factory ammo.When hunting shoulder shots were 100% effect up to 150 metres. Head shots was a different story .
Where I am at that moment is a 20inch suppressed rifle that in normal conditions I can put a round in the eye of a deer at up to 250metres with belmont hunting ammo(about a dollar a round) if I needed to and it seems to have a bit more knock down power.
I hope this helps!

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Have a old Savage .223 cut to 15" (always thought it's 16" but measured it the other day and is actually 15") fitted with a DPT.

I reload and have three loads for it:
1. Subsonic for goats and wallabies while deer stalking and limit myself to <30m on this one.
2. 55gr Nosler BST for pest shooting and relaxed deer with head / neck shots out to 200m.
3. 55gr Barnes TTSX for pigs under 75m and if I have to go for heart shot on deer out to 100m.

Yes I have to pass on shots but that is okay as the rifle is so light to carry that I sometimes forget the thing over my shoulder. Longest shot was 275m on a hare with no problem. Would I cut another bush rifle that short? Yes, definitely !!!

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

SakoLove
Donor Member

Sako Vixen .222, Tikka
T3 .308

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I run a 15.5' tikka, shooting 168gr A-max (factory loaded) and with most of my shots under 150m its well within reach. I think from memory running the calculations on strelok I would have enough energy to kill out to 250ish, but if I have a chance of anything over that we tend to take the 300wsm. Love the short barrel in the Uruwera bush!

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:24am
Print Post  
I have a new barrel fitted to my old Alpine .308 (last full length barrel got shot out). New barrel is a never-fired old Parker Hale Sniper rifle barrel from Din Collings.
It has a very tight custom chamber.
Cut down to 16" including length of chamber so about 14" of rifled bore.
Chamber is really tight - requires Small-Base resized cases to close bolt.
Current load giving 2670fps is 45gn AR2206H with 150gn Sierra GK.
I'm dialling for all past 250yd but its good for energy to 450yds - and shoots like a demon.
Scott Traill did chamber reaming, the refitting, chop, and fitted one of his multi-module suppressors.
Would I chop that short next time?
No - I'd stay at 20" for the increased energy out to 500yds - which is my self-imposed maximum range for game animals.
I will move to 168gn A-MAX once I've used up the rest of my 150gn SGKs for the improved cross-wind and down-range performance.

IP Logged

Koala
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:50am
Print Post  
thanks for replies

got the rifle in getting hacksawed at 15inch's
can always take a bit more of but hard to tape it back on
am also considering taking a inch off the back of the stock.

was going to try and load some cast bullets off trade me(shooternz?) and give the subsonic hunting a go as a lot of my shots are very close
however I understand that theres a bit of a "knack" to shooting these with there rainbow drops so if theyre not my thing I should still be able to get good enough velocity with a 15 inch barrel to have a effective bush rifle

was thinking of loading 150 sst's with 2206h or would I be better going a little bit lighter+faster?125 sierra flat nose hollow point?
also have 2208 powder

thanks for helpful replies Smiley

its all good

IP Logged

Koala
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
JaSa
what projectiles are you using in your 223 sub loads?
I tinkered but couldn't get any thing to even resemble expanding
69gr bthp would tumle at about 30 meters though ripped magpies apart if I could hit them

cheers

its all good

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I use the Sierra 125 flat nose hollow points in my 16 inch 30-30, pushed along with AR2208. No complaints with them, they drop fallow well and easily group well enough at 100m for hunting purposes (not gonna win any target competitions with my short M94 lever action!). For red deer I stick with 150 or 170gr projectiles (Hornady interlock or Sierra Prohunter), or the 160gr FTX which could be worth a look in 308 at slightly reduced speeds.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Koala wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:56am:
JaSa
what projectiles are you using in your 223 sub loads?
I tinkered but couldn't get any thing to even resemble expanding
69gr bthp would tumle at about 30 meters though ripped magpies apart if I could hit them

cheers

I use the Hornady 55gr SP SX. Not much expansion but doesn't matter for head shots. Shot a big Billy earlier today right behind the ear and he just collapsed right where he was.
Wallabies I try to go for the head / chest and they usually fall over after a few hops.
Gun City has some lead cast projectiles in .224 but it's a box of 1000 which is too big just to have a play with them...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards