Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Are the MSM starting to listen re 1080. (Read 4447 times)
hawken 50

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Are the MSM starting to listen re 1080.
Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
This is the second article in the main stream media I have seen recently concerning 1080. Is the tide turning.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/09/weapons-of-mass-destruction-i...

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Are the MSM starting to listen re 1080.
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Tide turning ? Nope.

That article was written by Bob Kerridge ex Auckland SPCA ?, wasnt he / they associated with de sexing cats that were then released back into the community to live out a natural life as strays... wow he has some real credibility when it comes to NZ native wildlife.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
There's another article here.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/106838699/1080-use-in-new-zealand-expert-qa

From what i can see both main political parties support the continued use of 1080, even want to see more used.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
There is a major flaw in the reasoning of this article
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/106838699/1080-use-in-new-zealand-expert-qa

The flaw is the assumption that 1080 cost are as stated. The fact is, that 1080 costs on average well in excess of $60 per ha (NOT $16).  This type of gross error leads to the continuing exclusion of well managed targeted trapping. I am convinced that properly managed trapping can effectively beat 1080 costs overall and achieve the targeted control results without the risks of bykill that presents with 1080 use.
Most trappers get sero funds input from DoC or ather agencies. if they were to be paid $60 per ha to kill rats, stoats cats and possums there would be a queue a mile long of applicants. The social and economic benefits would be enormous as well.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
hawken 50 wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:31pm:
This is the second article in the main stream media I have seen recently concerning 1080. Is the tide turning.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/09/weapons-of-mass-destruction-i...

Newshub is just drumming up business, from both sides, and they don't give a damn if what they are telling is the truth so long as it attracts hits and advertising dollars.

Here is my letter to a senior newshub reporter and he didn't bother to contact me even though I left telephone messages and had a lengthy conversation with one of his colleagues, who assured me that Dan would get back to me:

Dan Satherley
Newshub reporter

Dear Dan,

This article https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/rural/2018/08/1080-activism-going-down-the-conspi...

is all well and good at having a light hearted look at a very serious issue.

I, and other trappers, have done what DOC and OSPRI have said is not possible and we have done what 1080 is claiming to do all within the budget that has been allocated to 1080 application.

In 2016, after over 20 years of battling, I finally received all the possum monitoring data that DOC holds. Much of it had, in DOC's own words, been "lost or destroyed". After I had analysed the data it became clear that aerial 1080 has never been killing the numbers of possums claimed. At this point, I forced DOC into negotiations that would allow trappers to submit proposals that would compete with the 1080 contractors on output (only paid on final results) contracts. The 1080 contractors refuse to sign output contracts and will only work under input (paid for work done regardless of results) contracts, so, we were left talking about how output contract trappers could be used.

Just before the election, DOC broke off the negotiations citing "DOC has no appetite for change", my response was "Well, we will have to increase DOC's appetite". I then asked for the rat monitoring data for Kahurangi National Park. Upon analysis it became apparent that the same thing is happening with rats, i.e. 1080 is not killing the number of rats claimed

After the election, I forced DOC back to the negotiation table and we went through DOC's SOP Planning Procedure to look for changes that needed to be made in order for trappers to be able to submit proposals that compete with aerial 1080. There were no changes needed, what was needed was a willingness for DOC Conservancies to follow the SOP procedures. Conservancies have been unable to follow the SOP procedures because instructions have come from Wellington to not allow consideration of any other method of control where Wellington has dictated aerial 1080 be used.

What I am talking about here, is not any sort of conspiracy theory, it is factual and deals with simple and basic business and financial common sense where you tender for work and the most cost effective option will win the tender process. In this case, the normal process of procuring government funded work is being circumnavigated by the people in charge of the NZ Government owned poison industry.

I don't know why DOC, OSPRI, MPI, successive governments, Forest & Bird, etc have been deceiving the NZ Public as to the cost and result effectiveness of aerial 1080. There has to be a reason as the deception is deliberate and has been going on for 30 years. It could be as simple as there being money to be made by stopping open, fair and transparent competition, or, there maybe another agenda. The fact is that the 1080 industry, that includes government funded agencies, has deliberately deceived the NZ Public.

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's the only "anti-1080" people were trappers, that were being forced out of the bush, and we were easily maligned by the accusation that we had a financial self interest and wanted to be paid to "farm possums". Today here are more anti-1080 voices and their arguments vary from trappers, that are still saying "we can do a better, more cost effective job and please let us prove it by submitting output contract proposals", to ever more radical claims as to why the NZ Public is being deceived.

The fact is, the NZ Public is being deliberately deceived and there must be an underlying reason for the deception and, without any change in wild animal control procurement policy, the only assumption. that can be made, is the deception is happening with the full knowledge and support of the people right at the top of the decision making chain.

You can continue down this track of light hearted banter about anti-1080 people and, at the same time, support the 1080 supporters deceptive propaganda without question, or, you could take this opportunity to do some real investigative journalism to find the truth. Please remember that trappers are in negotiations with DOC, DOC has accepted that trappers can do the job and DOC is going to allow trappers to submit competitive proposals that compete directly with aerial 1080 contractors.

Kind regards.....Martin Foote.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Good letter Marty. Pity newshub has not responded.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:57pm:
Tide turning ? Nope.

That article was written by Bob Kerridge ex Auckland SPCA ?, wasnt he / they associated with de sexing cats that were then released back into the community to live out a natural life as strays... wow he has some real credibility when it comes to NZ native wildlife.

I agree, it's more a article about loving cats rather than one about hating 1080 and it's effects.  The toxoplasmosis has got to him and he is following the orders of his feline overlords.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
The toxoplasmosis has got to him and he is following the orders of his feline overlords.

Nup - in my experience Toxoplasmosis causes the lymph node in your groin to grow into a hard boiled egg that makes it very uncomfortable to wear traditional jockey 'Y' fronts - so you don't.
Then one day you decide to take it to the doctor and his questions on family history convince you that you have cancer - and he doesn't contradict you when you ask him if that's what he's thinking.
So you come home and write out a will, leaving all your debt to the bloke you're arguing with up the road - and you feel good.
Then they dig the bugger out with a scalpel - and it hurts like hell, then you go to bed until the nurse comes around the next day and you get to see what a bloody big hole he dug.

I don't think it affects the brain at all - not unless your brain is down near your groin which is true for some blokes - but not for Bob I shouldn't think.

Dr SF90

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Well something must be happening.
The environment court today issued an interim injunction halting the 1080 drop in Hunua for at least a week.

A f b page that was set up to protest 1080 was initially expecting at least 3000 members, hoping for 5000, now at last count a week ago has 80000.

Sooner we start phasing 1080 out and moving to smarter pest control the better IMO.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
The environment court today issued an interim injunction halting the 1080 drop in Hunua for at least a week.

A f b page that was set up to protest 1080 was initially expecting at least 3000 members, hoping for 5000, now at last count a week ago has 80000.

Sooner we start phasing 1080 out and moving to smarter pest control the better IMO.

The more air play it gets, the more people pay attention - and if it keeps going some are going to question the wisdom of using the stuff.

When you hear and understand it's at the top of the list regarding toxic substances to humans and non target species and how it is administered in this country - then who is going to close their eyes and ears to that.

The more chat - the better in my opinion.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Can someone post a link to that FB page please.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
[highlight][/highlight]Maddoghunter wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:

Tell me please what smarter pest control is with regard to rats only in South Island beech forest.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
Maddoghunter wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:

The more air play it gets, the more people pay attention - and if it keeps going some are going to question the wisdom of using the stuff.

When you hear and understand it's at the top of the list regarding toxic substances to humans and non target species and how it is administered in this country - then who is going to close their eyes and ears to that.

The more chat - the better in my opinion.

Probably everyone who supports the evidence based net-gain argument, who has seen no substantive science to support it harms people in its diluted state and is not aware of any useful broad acre pest control strategy in the medium term. They are also likely be independent thinkers and not readily persuaded by group think.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Salmoner.--Traps. It's very simple. Transfer the 1080 money (currently over $60 per hectare) into investment into trappers costs; make huge savings, create jobs, have no poisoned bykill nor poison in waterways. The kea and weka , moreporks and deer would survive too. Gets rid of a chunk of a sick bureaucracy at the same time. Who knows, our "clean green NZ" image may actually become truthful.
Furthermore, trapping on set / permanent contour lines as an ongoing maintainance program (it's been done successfully in Nth Ureweras) will also get rid of the massive rat population irruptions that result from 1080 poisoning operations.
Simple.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I presume you are talking this project ?

https://www.doc.govt.nz/our-work/mainland-islands/te-urewera/docs-work/te-urewer...

580ha !!

What sort of traps ? and please dont tell me South Island beech can be trapped with Victors.. that is total bullshit.

So that leaves GN traps. Cost ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards