Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tongariro bush hunting (Read 955 times)
Roysromps
Just Joined

From the miighty Kaimai's

Tongariro bush hunting
Sep 4th, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hey guys/girls ,
I'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on safety of car/ animal numbers / type of bush just off SH1 into the tongariro national park? Would be looking at going in off SH1 somewhere before the Makahikatoa Stream and walking 90 degrees from the road for a couple of hours for camp. Any info on the area would be awesome.

Looking to explore some new country !

cheers

IP Logged

Monowai

If hunting was easy everyone
would be doing it

Re: Tongariro bush hunting
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Some years back I hunted from National Park by walking the railway line at dawn - I guess people still do - where it borders the forest park - usually see one or two.  I hunted the National Park side not SH1 side. The trick is that there is alot of dead ground if you hunt the Tongario Park - so good binos a must.  There are lots of patches of trees - check on the outside of those trees.  Also in the dead ground there is good grass and you find deer where there is good grass.

IP Logged

dribbler

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
While this westerly weather is happening it wont be worth it.There  will be the odd day,keep an eye on tukino ski weather to pick the days.Im south of there next week for a couple of weeks and could drop you of.Use the forum to let me know if PM sent.

IP Logged

ted6.5
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Turangi Alpine Shuttles may do a drop off. I have used them when goingin to the Wairakei.

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Have done some work in there in the past. There are deer there, but they're very transient. Potential for a good head in there though, and a good chance of a sika too.

Funny thing about the mountain is that deer tend to be up quite high no matter how cold it seems to be at bushline, just my observations.

IP Logged

dribbler

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Chopper guys working on ski gear are always surprised at the altitude they are seeing deer at.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards