Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My arse... (Read 1046 times)
sticknstring
Donor Member

My arse...
Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Decent bit of gear it is too.

The question here though is about rain jackets that are long enough to cover it. I have been wearing a cheap Kathmandu Goretex jacket for years now and it has held up to the abuse surprisingly well. Unfortunately I have two main problems with it:
  • I also wear it around the city and I'm not sure everyone appreciates the smell of wet deer.
  • It's just long enough to funnel water down the back of my pants when I bend over.
My first deer was shot wearing this jacket, and no shorts, as they were so waterlogged I decided I was better off without them. It's time for a new jacket. Here's some criteria:
  • Long enough to keep my knickers dry.
  • To suit multi day backpack trips in Kaimais, Kaimanawas etc with wet weather.
  • Range of bush stalking and light tops work.
  • Don't need camo, don't mind it either.
  • Not fussed about "silent" fabrics, just nothing too crinkly.
I tried on some of the SC stuff and the Stillwater seems to fit the bill but I'm wary of the "soft" outer and the extra weight penalty, especially if wet. I went looking for a more mainstream tramping jacket but there aren't many with that extra length. Had anyone tried the Copland from Macpac?

https://www.macpac.co.nz/mens/jackets-vests/rainwear/copland-rain-jacket-v2-mens...

650g and $265.

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

ted6.5
Donor Member

Re: My arse...
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Swazi tahr anorak - recently spent an unplanned night out in the Kawekas in sub zero Temps, was very glad to have the jacket with me. Not only do they keep the fain out they also are warm.

Have heard Earth Sea Sky do a good jacket that is favored by SAR types.

Both come with a hefty price tag but worth when the sh*t  hits the fan.

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Yep got a Copeland jacket, works OK, but never really had it out in heavy rain.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I've used for many years in the past the MacPac Resolution which I bought for the length and rate it. (Its the older Gortex version)

(would actually sell it to ya if wanted - still in great condition - as I've moved to ultralight stuff now.)

I think the Copeland is the newer version of same jacket?

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Winded
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
creed wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 4:14pm:
as I've moved to ultralight stuff now

I don't spose you've got a thread somewhere about your ultralight gear? I'm starting to wonder if that might be a good way to go.

IP Logged

Broadleaf

Go Hard Bro

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I've got a stillwater and would hardly call it 'waterproof'. Sure it keeps the lightest of rain out, but anything moderate and it gets absolutely drenched. Plus, once wet, it's always wet, and heavy. Light rain, combined with brushing up against wet scrub = drenched. I'd avoid if I were you.

IP Logged

fat ninja

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I highly rate Rab jackets, try outfittersstore.co.nz to have a look at their range

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I brought one of the macpac jackets a while back.  I think it's a copland but presumably one of the version 1 ones as the pockets are different.  I was the same as you, went through the whole store looking for the longest, lightest jacket they had.  I have to say I like it.  It's the first decent breathable jacket I have had and it does what it says on the box (breaths).  It shits all over a fancy camo hunting jacket with the fuzzy outer layer.

I have just gone in the other direction and brought a Ourdoor Research Helium II from massdrop in the quest for lighter gear.  Sadly it's not 3/4 length so I take a pair of lightweight rain pants as well.  While it's good the copland is still 750g...

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I picked up the Copland, will take it for a test drive shortly and report back. Quite like the extra length and packs up relatively small. If it keeps the rain out I'll be happy for the price.

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards