Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is this hot for a .270? Newbie reloading advice. (Read 395 times)
Dawg
Just Joined

Identify your target beyond
ALL doubt.

Is this hot for a .270? Newbie reloading advice.
Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Im new to reloading and have recently developed a load for my .270win under the guidance of my brother. Just wanting your opinions because after having a look on the web I havent found any one else using as high a charge as me in this powder (wondering if my brother is as experienced as he makes out?.

Rifle: Sako A7 24inch barrel
Powder type: AR2209
Powder weight: 57.5 grains
Projectile: 130 grain hornady SST
MV: 3080 fps
Primer: Remington
Brass: Federal

We started the load ladder at 50 grains and worked up in 0.5 grain increments checking for pressure signs (there were non). Ended up finding a sweet spot in accuracy at 57.5gr and was happy with MV. What do you guys thing, max recommended load is 54-55.3 (depending on which book) so we are way over but no pressure signs at all.

Cheers,
Dawg

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Re: Is this hot for a .270? Newbie reloading advice.
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Quite a bit over recommended maximum load. Why go so far? I would be trying different options to get better grouping. i.e. bullet seating depth, different powder, different projectiles etc.  Huh

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Gman

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Two grains over max charge does seem a lot but I've done it before, as long as there aren't any pressure signs.
In my opinion of course.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
it all depends on the individual rifle......some long throated rifles can handle it hot and some tight chambered ones need it cold....... this is WHY reloading manuals say to ALWAYS start low and work your way up watching carefully for signs of pressure. once you KNOW your rifle inside and out you can cut corners somewhat as you have good idea where it will sit /like a load,whats fine in my rifle will blow up another...velocity isnt the be all and end all of everything. for years I used 130grn loads at mildish velocity as they were accurate and I didnt flinch....now with suppressor my loads are back to being hot and heavy pills get the nod too.....
a little faster and or a little heavier do kill a little quicker but shot placement is much much more important.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards