Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Close but no cigar tahr hunt (Read 800 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Close but no cigar tahr hunt
Aug 31st, 2018 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Back in mid July I thought I'd better get out for a look for a wooly goat while the skins were still good so with a reasonable forecast on the Saturday I chucked my gear in the truck Friday after work and headed south up the mt cook road. There was already a truck at my usual spot so I carried on up to the next stream to check out some new country. After a kip in the truck and a leisurely breakfast I headed on up to see what I could see.

I wasn't 200m from the truck when I hit a patch of sunshine and still being rather cold at -5 I thought bugger it ill have a quick glass and warm up a bit. Sure enough it didn't take me long to spot a few nannies way up high. Safe from me I watched them for awhile and carried on up. I glassed a few areas over the next couple of hours seeing tahr most times until around lunchtime I found a large mob of around 20 accompanied by 3 bulls. I was surprised to see the bulls still chasing the nannies around and got some cool footage on my sx60. They were in an area I fancied I could get to and I was lying down planning my approach when I was almost stood on by 2 climbers. They turned out to be a couple from America working at the hermitage and we had a good yarn, they'd never seen a tahr so I pointed them out and they told me of their plan to do an overnight summit on a peak further up the stream. (later when I was climbing I could see where they were heading and realized what mad bastards they were  Cheesy)

After going our separate ways I began my gut busting 3 hour climb one ridge back where I reckoned I'd be able to get a shot away. I wasn't far away when I heard some whistling and knew I'd been seen. There was nothing to do but carry on and hope for the best. dropping my pack and crawling the last few metres on to the ridge I could see tahr staring directly across from me. I quickly started scanning for the bulls but they were nowhere to be seen until I spotted one further up the hill. I quickly ranged him at 320m which is about my limit. Having a look through the scope I was confident he'd go twelve and had a great cape so I squeezed off the shot. Tahr started running everywhere but my bull barely moved and I knew he was hit hard. I put another couple of shots into him and he fell out of sight before I turned my attention to the nannies and used a whole box dropping a good half dozen  Grin The whole area stunk of tahr and had been utterly destroyed so I didn't feel one bit bad knowing I wouldn't be retrieving them. It was now decision time. I looked at my watch and it was almost 4pm. If I wasn't alone I may have gone for it but I erred on the side of caution and got my ass back down the hill arriving at the truck not long after dark.

After heading into Twizel for a decent feed I went back and had a bit of a sleep in. I woke to cloud cover but I knew exactly where I was headed so with bugger all weight on my pack I boosted back up there in good time sparing a thought for the climbers who must've been getting snowed on in some scary looking country. Passing where I shot from there were still tahr everywhere and I could've shot another 10 if I had more bullets. I got another 250m up the ridge, it was getting steeper either side of me and I got to one point where I couldn't bring myself to go. It looked like if I got past it I would be ok and I sat there for a good 30 minutes contemplating but if I slipped it would be certain death and it just wasn't worth the risk especially as the snow was now coming in quite hard so disappointingly back down the hill I went shooting another nanny along the way with my last bullet  Grin ill probably go back in summer to see if I can get the skull

so close but so far

https://ibb.co/kgfWV9

horrible quality as I took a photo on my phone of my cameras screen but there's 3 bulls there. Not sure which I shot or if it was even one of these 3

https://ibb.co/mHp3cp

friendly kea

https://ibb.co/fMAZHp

the climbers were attempting the peak to the right  Shocked

https://ibb.co/j8nLq9

not sure how to get the images to appear here if someone could help!
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:34am by Kaboomfa »  

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Close but no cigar tahr hunt
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Cool report, I hope you can retrieve him at some point.
No cigar is your own fault - you never invited me!  Grin

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Cigar wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:16pm:
Cool report, I hope you can retrieve him at some point.
No cigar is your own fault - you never invited me!  Grin

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
you gave it a plurry good go at getting back to retrieve it..... you will get time and get back up there better prepared...rope and a mate. hope you can find and retrieve him.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
nothing like a bit of target practice,,all for that,,dont feel bad about non recovery
doc do search n destroy all the time

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:30pm:
you gave it a plurry good go at getting back to retrieve it..... you will get time and get back up there better prepared...rope and a mate. hope you can find and retrieve him.

Fingers crossed.. No snow will make it a lot easier I reckon

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:56pm:
nothing like a bit of target practice,,all for that,,dont feel bad about non recovery
doc do search n destroy all the time

Yup hunters need to be shooting more nannies! Might take 2 boxes next time  Grin although I suspect doc will have been through this area now..

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Cool pics, I agree with you, the climbers were keen men.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Drew Carrymore
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Smart decision, that fact that you had to think about being able to get to it means don't do it - alone and without the right gear, naah. Smart people live longer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards