Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Seeking the sika (and not keeping up my end of the bargain) (Read 1211 times)
Stretch
Donor Member

Seeking the sika (and not keeping up my end of the bargain)
Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
So a month or so ago I had some success starting my dog Finn out on deer. With that in mind and a desire to get the best from him, I made it a goal for the dog to get out for a hunt of some description at least once a week.

The week after his second and third deer, it made sense to get him out again. He'd seen reds up close, and had done enough skin drag sessions to know what he was looking for....but had never smelled a sika.

I took a day off work and shot off up to Kiwi Saddle with a mate for the night with the intention of going around to Studholme and out via the Rogue over a weekend to celebrate our 26th birthdays.

The only thing of note that happened there was the loss of my GPS, and with bad weather coming in hot we went back down the way we came. It seemed that the deer could sense a rough patch on the horizon and I spotted a deer in the manuka just below the Cameron turnoff on the way out.  It had the drop on Finn and I and all I saw was a grey body turn and disappear. 26 is a nothing year anyway I suppose!

The following weekend I thought bugger the sika and took a drive to Kashmir Rd with the intention to drop into the Pohangina and have a look for the weekend. Getting there at 8pm that Friday night to find a full carpark had me less than impressed..so back to looking for sika it was. I was in no hurry to get up there the next day as I could see the range was clagged in....... but a good day at home is still worse than a bad one in the hills so into the bush we went.

We dropped into the Makahu stream and not long into it the dog turned and ran back the way we came.. I was very annoyed but after some thought I realised there was a kiwi in there Finn had no intention of becoming friends with in the least. Cheers Willy Marsh, I mumbled to myself as I gave the pooch a pat and turned around.

Walking a bit further along the track to Kaweka Flats the dog started to get a bit of a wind off the downhill side. Good dog. Forty mins of sneaking through the red beech and a very keyed up Finn had me within thirty odd metres of a spiker that was well aware of our intentions once he got onto us. The cunning little bugger turned and peered out at me from behind a fallen beech. Setting up on his neck, the spiker wheeled round in fright. As he turned I fired...and after walking over to where he was the dog didn't find any blood. A clean miss. As if to tell me how badly I'd cocked up  the spiker squealed from further up the ridge behind me. I shook my head, gave the pup a scratch behind the ears and sulked my way back to the track.

I ended up at the Iron Whare for lunch and on the way out spotted a hind high up on Pinnacle Spur. I couldn't be bothered with the walk and the dog wouldn't have gotten much out of it so she stayed safe on her little patch of scree she was on.

Then after a weekend out of the hills due to other commitments (goat culling for a local cocky - got 5 over the dog for practice) I took half of Friday off and got myself to the end of Clements Mill Rd.    2 hrs later and I was on a big ridge about halfway up, in what looked like absolutely primo bush. I parked up for the night and was kept awake by a deer that had an obvious issue with my choice of campsite as it spent over an hour in vocal objection.

I spooked 2 more on the track on the way in after a quick poke around near camp, and 3 hrs on I plonked my pack on the verandah, feeling pretty good, listening to a male whio in the river whistling to himself. The hut book said some people took 7-10 hrs to get in and out so I gained some pride in the time it had taken me, a shade under 5.5 hrs total.

With the wind being a bit fickle, I figured behind the hut was as good as any and let the dog do his thing up there. This proved to be frustrating. The higher we climbed, the sunnier it got. The sunnier it got, the more erratic the wind direction. Finn was winding all over the place  but I couldn't put any faith in any of it so ended up sitting down for lunch.

The dog then got a solid wind and we shuffled into the head of a sidestream. He was quick to find a freshly vacated bed, and so on high alert we worked the wind. As we got down further into the creek it became less about finding the deer, and more about finding a route I could actually walk on as the creek began to gorge out. Finn kept looking at me, his eyes saying "We're getting close boss".

After a lot of mucking around we finally dropped into the creek proper and right as I came down a bank to meet Finn in the creekbed, a hind who had been bedded down not far above the creek sprang into action and withdrew into the shadows. I actually groaned aloud in disappointment while the dog looked at me reproachfully. I knew I'd majorly stuffed it up again.

The next two hours were spent grovelling down into the river, and another hour to get back to the hut.  I then spent the evening in front of the fire reflecting on things for the next trip....which as usual, I already look forward to! Hopefully I can nab a sika for the dog pretty soon.

Cheers,
Stretch.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Seeking the sika (and not keeping up my end of the bargain)
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:37am
Print Post  
yes well hmm
i thing we are supposed to be keeping the animal population at an acceptable level
but dont give up and i thank you for your post,,most people give up hunting in the winter as per the lack of posts
ps,,when i was a culler our tallies for some reason dropped in the winter time,, like most hunters i suppose i hunted the sunny faces until one day i sidled thru a steep face on the south side of the ridge and discovered heaps of deer droppings in a confined area (cold n dark spot)reason for this
now whilst hunting around clements i found a lot of sika sign on the south faces,,food for thought my man

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Cheers for the post! Yeah not every trip ends up in spilled blood eh?  Smiley But as you have said - bad day in the hills is still better than good one at home...  Grin

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Im not sure it's the dog that needs a bit of practice hunting sika Grin Grin

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Best write up in a while that.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Ackley wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:57am:
Im not sure it's the dog that needs a bit of practice hunting sika Grin Grin

Neither am I at this point  Grin  Gotta be in to win though!

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Nice report Stretch. Looks like you are doing alright on the sika, just slow down and look a bit more. Always easier to shoot them when they aren't running away. Grin

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
bloody great writeup....its plurry hard to trust the dog all the time,but it sure pays off when you do.
just think how good that eye steak and heart is going to taste quick fried in butter when you do finnally nail one of the squeaking wee huas Grin

IP Logged

ted6.5
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Great report and some good photos.  Finn cleaning out the dehy meal is classic.

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
ted6.5 wrote on Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Great report and some good photos.  Finn cleaning out the dehy meal is classic.

Ha, ha, ha - and I thought you'd shoved a nosebag on to give him (and yourself) a break from winding deer.

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Good on ya man..out there with the dog,great stuff Cool

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
A good honest yarn Stretch, plenty of deer encountered but hunting is hunting and things don't always go to plan when it comes to putting one on the deck. Write ups like this always get me keen to get out again. And love the pic of the gorgy creek!

bnb

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
You and I are members of the same club stretch.
Always see those little beggars, but turning them into steaks eludes us!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards