Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scope adjustment (Read 480 times)
noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Scope adjustment
Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
After a long break from shooting, my Son bought a CZ bolt action in 7.62*30 a very fine rifle, which of course required sighting in.
Now the question is, does left mean the hole bullet holes moves to the left or does in mean the cross hairs move to the left. All the information on the net was confusing, and I was always confused as it never seemed to work out.
So I set scope A in the vice, set up a target at 18 yds. set the parallax to suit and tried the scope, sure enough the cross hairs moved to suit the bullet hole, on scope A.
Set up scope B in the vice and discovered the same adjustment moved the hole to suit the cross hairs.
The easy way to resolve this question is the trail and error method.
On this occasion my Grandson tried out my 30-06 742 pump action, using Berrys bullets and trail boss, " I like the pump action Granddad" said he as he fired mag after mag into a sandy bank.
During a break in this shoot Grandson walked up the hill and looked over the next paddock, in a big gully, and spotted some deer playing about. We had a visit from a local farmer because of our shooting and he was assured by ourselves that we were not poaching, we always check in with the landowner of where we shoot and he will quite often have a shot or two as well.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Scope adjustment
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Adjusting scope B did not move the holes to suit the crosshairs! The holes are in a piece of something 18 odd metres away, they don't move. In every case you are adjusting the crosshairs to point where the rifle shoots, never the other way round.
To answer your original question, left means moving the point of impact to the left (which as actually moving the cross hairs right, but that's not important). If your point of impact is to the right of the bullseye and low, you want to turn the adjustments left and up.
The simple way if you are using a vice is to fire a group aiming at the centre of the bullseye, then set up rifle in the vice again aiming at the bull, and then adjust the crosshairs to be aiming in the centre of your group, taking care to not move the rifle while doing this. Rifle should be bang on after this.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
On scope A turning the adjustment screw for left moved the cross hairs towards the point of impact.
On scope B turning the adjustment screw for left moved the cross hairs away from the point of impact.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
yip the older scopes often worked move point of aim...MOST modern ones move point of impact
the only one that gives me grief now is my M8  4X   as it is in half inch not quarter inch graduations...not really an issue when using bore sighter/colimeter
glad you got it sorted in the end.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Huh

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Using a very steady rest ,fire a shot onto the paper , lock the rifle in position so the cross hairs are in the middle of the bull , move the cross hairs , (without moving the rifle ) so they center on the bullet hole , test fire, it should be dead on .

The graduations on the older non click adjusting ( friction)  Leupolds are a guide only and the adjustment can be placed any where within the graduations , then the graduation dial set to zero once the sight is correct .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

dirtyhabit
Forum Font

Happiness.....is a warm
gun

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Easiest way to remember for me is:

Move the Bullet (with the adjustments) NOT
Chase the bullet

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards