Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Exo Mountain 3500 (Read 665 times)
Dreamsofstags
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Exo Mountain 3500
Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Righto fellas, I'm looking seriously at spending up large on one of these packs and would appreciate any comments from others that have one.
What I like is that they seem to be a lightish and durable pack, suitable for both day hunts and overnighters, and can extend out when required to lug out a decent amount of meat.
Also, if my name is ever drawn in the wapiti ballot, then I can simply buy one of the larger packs to hook onto the frame.
Sooo, who has one and how do you rate it? Are they suitable for NZ's conditions?
I hunt South Is, bush, tops, and alpine.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Re: Exo Mountain 3500
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
IMHO thats a pretty heavy pack for a 42L pack

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Dreamsofstags
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
You're right Creed, at 2.3k it's not that light for a 57lt pack but what I like is how it extends out to incorporate a load shelf when a hunt is successful.
I have been going down the gear lighting route and I've been using a Gossamer Gear Gorrilla Pack 40lt. This was great for overnight hunts but lugging out too much meat has wrecked it. I now feel that I can sacrifice a little weight in a pack for more durability.
Does anyone use the Kuiu packs? These look great..

IP Logged

Ronny

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Not a good look for some of those packs

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
What about a cactus? Kiwi made. Pretty strong.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Dreamsofstags wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:38pm:
You're right Creed, at 2.3k it's not that light for a 57lt pack but what I like is how it extends out to incorporate a load shelf when a hunt is successful.
I have been going down the gear lighting route and I've been using a Gossamer Gear Gorrilla Pack 40lt. This was great for overnight hunts but lugging out too much meat has wrecked it. I now feel that I can sacrifice a little weight in a pack for more durability.
Does anyone use the Kuiu packs? These look great..

Hear ya. Have found my HMG Dyneema pack is still holding up with full loads. My 50L pack holds a boned out red and gear because of the extendable design . . . a "load shelf" and all manner of other pockets/straps are just another bit of complication to a single sack design. IMO If you want durability then go with the other recommendation mentioned above - Cactus! 

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Shady

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I have one, a 2016 model so the same frame and harness but slightly different bag design. Like you I have been down the gear lightening/update road and went with one of these as it seemed to be a good balance of strong but reasonably light.

The frame is excellent, tubular titanium is very stiff and stong and won't sag under heavy loads, I've had mine loaded up to about 65kg just to test it out and it handled the jandal just fine.

The harness system is also excellent, simple but very effective. The hip belt in particular works very well, good lumbar support minimal sag and it distributes the weight around the entire hip girdle well. Some packs I have tried tend to sag when loaded up heavy and you end up with the lumbar pad half way down your crack and lots of pressure on the front of the hips - the exo is really good in this regard for me, but pack fit is a pretty personal thing.

The bag design is good, regarding volume the 3500ci is for the main compartment and lid only so if you include the side and back pockets the total is about 70 litres. I had a 50 litre pack previously and the exo is significantly bigger, my trips are normally 3 days max and there is no problem fitting everything in.

I think the new bags have a roll top closure which is a good thing as the cord system on my pack could be better. I have never used the zip at the back of the bag as I use a plastic pack liner. The pocket system works well, it's easy to strap your rifle to the side if you need to.

As for the load shelf, the jury is still out. It does a good job of keeping the blood and crap off the rest of your gear andworks really well for things like bone in back legs where you can jam the bones down the bottom and keep the weight high, but squishy bags of boned out meat are tricky to strap in and tend to slide down. This kinda defeats the purpose of having the ability to keep the weight high and close to your back.

It's well made but the main material is 500d cordura, it doesn't feel as durable as an old skool Macpac/Cactus and won't last as long, this seems to be the deal with most of the lighter weight stuff.

So yeah the exo does extremely well with heavy loads but it isn't an ultralight pack and probably not as durable as some other options. They are also pretty spendy. Overall I'm happy but if I were to do it again I'd get the 5500ci bag instead which would work better for longer trips.

I see you are in Dunners, I'm just down the road in Mosgiel. Chuck me a PM if you want to have a look. You can see if all your stuff fits in and I reckon a couple of k's walk with 30-40 kg on board will tell you what you need to know..

Cheers

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Have a look at the Tatonka Pyrox (45 + 10 ltr) or the Tatonka Norix (48 ltr)

They both weight about 1.7 kg

I'm looking at the Norix to buy

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Im going to look at one of these when next in UK.

https://www.crux.uk.com/product/3g-ak57-rt

57 litres and 1250 grams, but can be decreased by removing the top flap as the roll top closure is fully waterproof. Not as light as the HMG pack Creed has, but likely more durable than Dyneema.

Not Kiwi made, but the owner is a Kiwi.

IP Logged

Dreamsofstags
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Men - Cheers for all the terrific help and advice.
That clip testing the various packs durability caused me to rethink things a little...
I'm now thinking that I simply can't achieve everything from a single pack, and need to fork out for at least two. One around 40-50lt's (for 1 to 3 day missions) and a larger pack, around 60-70lt for longer expeditions.
So assuming I'll again be unsuccessful in the Wapiti Ballot I'll just concentrate on the smaller pack for now.
Shady - cheers for your generous offer, but I think I'll try out a Tatonka.
Will let you know which model and how well it lugs out deer.. hopefully soon!

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I bought a Tatonka Bison 75 ltr some years ago and never looked back. My old Macpac Torre needed replacing and the Tatonka has an extremely awesome harness system which was the main selling point after trying one on.

The pack has had some heavy loads humping through Fiordland and other locations and performed flawlessly.

Like you I'm also of the mind of two packs... one for longer trips and one for shorter trips which is why I'm eyeing up the Tatonka Norix as the harness can be adjusted to small so it's fits my boys as they get older and can start taking heavier loads yet also adjusted for my height (6'2 tall). It's also the same harness system which I've come to rely on and of the limited Tatonka gear I have I trust their products as I find it well made and durable.

Another pack I've come across is the One Planet "Overshadow" which is also a 50 ltr pack weighing in at 1400 grams

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/packs/bushwalking/overshadow/

I've tried that pack on and the first thing I noticed was how light weight it felt... a bit more expensive than the Tatonka but 300 grams lighter!

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards