Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Labrador Pup dry food (Read 837 times)
Honkers

Labrador Pup dry food
Aug 25th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Hi all

Wanting to change my pups dry food diet as I believe a decent amount of meat and less fillers is the way foward
Any recommendations of dry food thats not break the bank expensive but in that middle range , dont mind paying for quality??

Pup is 5 months currently
Cheers

IP Logged

Sauer

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Labrador Pup dry food
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
You might need to try a few different ones to see which he likes.

Fed my pup several different (expensive) brands that he didn’t really like. Now feeding him Science Diet Large Puppy which is chicken based, and he likes these.

Have heard good things about Mighty Mix which are here in Canterbury - try googling them. Not sure how expensive though.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  
We feed our labs Orijen, which is made from fish and has no added fillers. They love it and do well on it - shiny coat, good health and tons of energy. It’s pretty expensive, but lasts ages as they need relatively little. We add raw venison, goat and pork, chicken necks, raw bones etc.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:34am:
We feed our labs Orijen, which is made from fish and has no added fillers. They love it and do well on it - shiny coat, good health and tons of energy. It’s pretty expensive, but lasts ages as they need relatively little. We add raw venison, goat and pork, chicken necks, raw bones etc.

Thats the key to a balanced diet. We do the same to vary the nutritional profile while using good quality dry food as a base.

You might have observed how dogs always pick out the fresh added bits first to eat and then the processed food. Thats tells us something..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Sauer wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
You might need to try a few different ones to see which he likes.

Fed my pup several different (expensive) brands that he didn’t really like. Now feeding him Science Diet Large Puppy which is chicken based, and he likes these.

Have heard good things about Mighty Mix which are here in Canterbury - try googling them. Not sure how expensive though.

Mighty Mix biscuits are good but I WON'T feed there frozen concentrate again after losing 2 dogs on it and after talking to a few vets about it

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
What was the problem with it?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
That mighty mix frozen concentrate was pretty popular a few years ago but you hardly see it around anymore. It looked dodgy with all the sand/grit shit in it, but dogs seemed to do well on it.

IP Logged

tim41

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
feed our dogs on it for years -no problems

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards