Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ramrod (Read 1221 times)
Tasbay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Ramrod
Aug 22nd, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Anyone in NZ stock Ramrods? Preferably the unbreakable ones. I broke the one on my 58 cal today, won`t go into detail but it involved Gun Powder  Cheesy

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: Ramrod
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Ha, ha, ha, you shot the bugger down range - didn't you.

What are the unbreakable ones - plastic ?

Went through all that some years ago - and couldn't find any thing in NZ, so bought a swag from Track of the Wolf in the States.
Got some Hickory and those other sort of wood ones they have.
Trouble with their rods is they aren't split poles, so you get a lot with cross grain - and they'll shear quite easily under hard loading pressure.

So, got some pool cues and spun them down in my lathe and they worked okay, never had one of them break - and I don't even know what they are.

I've got an ebony rod here on my old shottie - and that's a really nice rod, but finding a 45" ebony dowel or cue is something I haven't managed.

Steel would be another option - got one on my slow twist Enfield and I've hammered that against a tree getting a tight ball down. Good rod if you don't mind the weight and the rattle in the 'keepers'.
You wouldn't want to shoot one of them.

I do remember seeing split hickory ones for sale in the States and I have a memory the same bloke was doing Osage Orange ones - but he had a backlog of orders - and they were expensive, so didn't bother.

I do have some Puriri and Akeake sticks drying out in the garage and in about ten years I'll write back and tell you how they went.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 6:50am
Print Post  
fibreglass fence batten/feild days walking stick......

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
ok yeh got the rod stuck down the barrel while I was swabbing between shots ( had to be that last shot before I wandered home). Dribbled some 4f down the Nipple hole as have done a few times in the past but must have dribbled a little to much. Wasn`t so much a bit of a pop and rod comes out... more of a restrained Boom!!.
Was going to get a replacement from TOW but hell they have upped their postage prices.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Ah - had that happen a couple of times - got them out by looping a cord around the bit poking out and yanking really hard on that.
I cross drill and pin the end fittings and never had one pop off.

If you do decide on TOW ones, get a few - some of those Hickory ones can buckle into a corkscrew after a while.
I don't mind a bit of a bend, stops them rattling in the keepers, but some I've had to turn into short dowels for this and that they got so bent.

Personally, I'd just get a rooted pool cue and rasp it down - at least you know the grain is running straight

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Steel or alloy ones can wear the muzzle so they need a bore guide , Fiberglass fence poles will rip the rifling out  in a big way .
I got a number of rods from Track but was limited in the length they could send , they all have straight grain and no bends , I  put them in a piece of plastic drain pipe filled with artists grade linseed oil and natural turpentine and soaked them for months , they are just fine , Earl Wyatt sokes  his in creosote  and that works well but they do pong abit .

I know one riflesmith who makes rods out of selected hickory shovel handles , the rip saws them  into oversize square profile lengths then planes the square into an octagon then the octagon corners to 16 etc etc then spoke shaves, scrapes and sands the rod into a fairly close approximation of round ,then tapers them to fit .

How long would the rod need to be ? I may have an unloved unbreakable one in the garage

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 2:10am
Print Post  
ok thats a big no on the fibreglass then Shocked

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 9:56am:
Steel or alloy ones can wear the muzzle so they need a bore guide , Fiberglass fence poles will rip the rifling out  in a big way .
I got a number of rods from Track but was limited in the length they could send , they all have straight grain and no bends , I  put them in a piece of plastic drain pipe filled with artists grade linseed oil and natural turpentine and soaked them for months , they are just fine , Earl Wyatt sokes  his in creosote  and that works well but they do pong abit .

I know one riflesmith who makes rods out of selected hickory shovel handles , the rip saws them  into oversize square profile lengths then planes the square into an octagon then the octagon corners to 16 etc etc then spoke shaves, scrapes and sands the rod into a fairly close approximation of round ,then tapers them to fit .

How long would the rod need to be ? I may have an unloved unbreakable one in the garage

Thanks Flintlock. Yeh knew to stay away from the fiberglass and steel. Barrel on the 58 cal is 31 1/2 inch. Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards