Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic OSPRI admits 1080 costs $100/ha (Read 1420 times)
Marty Foote
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

OSPRI admits 1080 costs $100/ha
Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
OSPRI has admitted, in an OIA request, that the budget for the Alice Burn East aerial 1080 operation was $98.65/ha.

My estimation has always been that 1080 is costing closer to $100/ha than $60/ha, let alone the $16-$30/ha OSPRI normally quotes. This is clear evidence that aerial 1080 is costing at least 3 times what is being publicly reported in the media, with OSPRI continually refusing to release any specific operational budget details citing "commercial sensitivity".

This operation has been controversial and has been postponed because the timing has been delayed and the area will have ewes lambing before the baits have time to decay.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/news/article.cfm?c_id=16&objectid=1210874...

Apparently, this area is too rugged for trappers to operate in, and yet, the area is developed enough to lamb ewes on and, presumably, shepherds are able to effectively do their jobs.

The OIA questions and answers are:

Q: What is the total OSPRI budget for the Luggate aerial drop and is it expected to exceed that budget?

A: The Alice Burn East Aerial is not expected to exceed the budgeted amount of $194,640

Q: What percentage of the drop zone is Department Of Conservation estate. What is the total hectares of DOC estate in the drop zone if any?

A: Out of total consented area of 1,973 hectares:

292 ha DOC

1,681 ha private land

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Re: OSPRI admits 1080 costs $100/ha
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
so the $194,640 question is could you trap it for that?

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:40pm:
so the $194,640 question is could you trap it for that?

I haven't personally seen the area, however, if it is the sort of country I think it is, I would be able to trap it for up to 10 years, maintain the possum population below 1%RTC permanently and, as an added bonus, autopsy all the possums killed to find out what the possum TB infection rate is.

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
That is expensive, is it because of the relatively small size of the operation would make it more expensive /ha? The Molesworth 2017 drop of roughly 60,000 ha could not have cost over $5million?

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
puddleduk wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:39am:
That is expensive, is it because of the relatively small size of the operation would make it more expensive /ha? The Molesworth 2017 drop of roughly 60,000 ha could not have cost over $5million?

Aerial 1080 is expensive if all the costs are included.

Yes, larger operations do have an element of economy of scale, however, this economy of scale reduction is not a reduction of over 2/3rds. Trapping operations also have the same economy of scale considerations as aerial operations.

DOC and OSPRI use the area size of >2,000ha as the upper limit for trapping operations and the kicking in of the economy of scale for aerial 1080. This operation size is right on the 2,000ha boundary. The 2,000ha boundary also ignores the fact that 2,000ha is around 4 months work for 1 trapper, after the initial knockdown is done. In other words, there would need to be 2 other blocks, of a similar size, made available to keep 1 trapper fully employed.

This is the first time OSPRI has released the total budgeted operational amount, despite numerous attempts made to ask OSPRI to release these figures. Up until now, OSPRI has only released the bait and flying costs, which have varied between $16-$40/ha and OSPRI has never come up with a explanation of the wide variation of what is a pretty standard operating procedure, with the only real difference being the transport, to the loading site, and the flying time, from loading site to dropping the bait. Even here, the transport and flying costs are minimal as the block is right on the bush edge, very close to a town, and the loading site should be right inside, or alongside, the operational area.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Send a very "simple and easy to understand letter" to Minister O'Connor Marty. VERY simple, mind. Then an even simpler one to Minister of DoC- Sage.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
huntnfish wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:08pm:
Send a very "simple and easy to understand letter" to Minister O'Connor Marty. VERY simple, mind. Then an even simpler one to Minister of DoC- Sage.

I have already done that and you have copies of those "simple letters".

The big message that you gave to me tonight, during our telephone conversation, is that you want me to fight for stuff that you think is important, that may or may not work for NZ bushman.

Here's the deal, I offer you...You fight for what I think is important and you back my feeling of importance with real facts and I might consider backing your ideas so long as your ideas fit into the reason why I think the NZ bush should work for both of us.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
That would be one of the weirdest posts I have ever seen. Completely out of it. Shocked
And don't bother ringing me pissed ever again.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:11pm by huntnfish »  

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
The big message that you gave to me tonight, during our telephone conversation, is that you want me to fight for stuff that you think is important, that may or may not work for NZ bushman.

Here's the deal, I offer you...You fight for what I think is important and you back my feeling of importance with real facts and I might consider backing your ideas so long as your ideas fit into the reason why I think the NZ bush should work for both of us.

Sounds logical marty NOT  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Wonder if we'll see another doxxing 'attempt'? Roll Eyes Smiley

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Shades of Trump and Cohen going on here.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
Shades of Trump and Cohen going on here.

Don Vito and Virgil?  Wink

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Marty Foote
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
huntnfish wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:27am:
That would be one of the weirdest posts I have ever seen. Completely out of it. Shocked
And don't bother ringing me pissed ever again.

When you indicate that you are going to start down your extreme political lines, on a thread that deals only with 1080 or trapping control, I will stop you, in your tracks, every time, and I have asked you to never try to bring the sort of extreme political argument, that you told me should be talked about, into a simple wild animal control thread.

If you want to talk extreme politics go and start your own thread. I know that some of you might try to link TH's similar comments, about some of my posts, however, TH's opinions, on what should be happening, are a hell of a lot closer to mine than the political beliefs you were spouting to me over the phone.

I admire you and I respect the work you have done and I ask that you never bring your extreme political beliefs into a debate I am having about possum control.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you want to talk extreme politics go and start your own thread. I know that some of you might try to link TH's similar comments, about some of my posts, however, TH's opinions, on what should be happening, are a hell of a lot closer to mine than the political beliefs you were spouting to me over the phone.

Haha
I don't bloody think so  Grin

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Some weird shit going down on here FFS! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards