Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Outboard jet on tinnie/ rib (Read 462 times)
Muff270
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Outboard jet on tinnie/ rib
Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Just wondering if anyone here has any info on outboard jet engines.
Ive heard a few guys use them on there tinnies on the canterbury rivers chasing salmon etc.
Id be looking at putting a 30hp on a 12" aluminium dinghy. Do i have to modify the back of the hull at all. If any one has one let me no how they go and how you find them. Theres inflatable one on trademe with alloy hulls and 30hp parsun on trailer for 10k. Im sure i could get 1 up and running for less than that.
Again any info/experiences would be great.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Outboard jet on tinnie/ rib
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I have an aluminium Divemaster hull made in Southbridge specifically for an outboard jet. I have a yamaha 50hp outboard jet and it is just a magic combination.  I use it for salmon fishing and make it up into a duck hunting maimai with a a couple of camo blinds.

From what i understand getting the tunnel at the back of the boat so that the water flows into the jet intake is critical, i could be wrong but that is the way i understand it. 30hp is the minimal motor i would run with as you loose 30% of the motors hp just going through the jet unit.

The divemaster hull has long pontoons on it that extend past where the motor sits and when you take off the boat doesnt bog at the back.. it just pops on the plane.

Do i love it.. hell yeah .

IP Logged

Muff270
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
U wanna sell it?! Haha
Yes im dead keen on 1. Not alot of info about them over here. Frews marine in invercargill can do me 1 but will be 15k. Alloy pontoon with 50hp on it.
I have heard somthing about altering the rear of the boat slightly for best performance. The we 30hp will hopefully be enough for 2 adults to head up river, but a 50 would be better. May be the pontoon style boat may work better. Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Sorry it aint for sale  Grin.

The modification will be the tunnel that flows the water into the jet unit intake at a guess ?

The pontoon style works really well because of that lengthened pontoon extending well past the motor and the way it stops the boat from burying its bum when you take off. I reckon i could take off in 300mm of water . The 30hp will be enough to move 2 adults but be careful with the use of it in shingle, it will blunt the impellor and your performance will drop off quicker than the bigger motor.

I have seen a Frewza outboard jet out at lake Ellesmere but it was very bow up when not on the plane and certainly buried its bum when it took off.

IP Logged

Muff270
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help/info. Think ill go for the rib with the alloy hull. I may even put a 40hp on if i can. That way will still give me 30hp at the jet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards