Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Woodhill Block 3 wander for some fallow with some fellows (Read 924 times)
Chase and Gather NZ
Forum Senior

Woodhill Block 3 wander for some fallow with some fellows
Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
A vid of a trip in to woodhill forest - block 3 (balloted). Plenty of does seen (around 15-20) but any luck with the bucks?

Not a great deal of animal filming but hopefully it provides a good layout view of the block for others who may be heading in.
Very easy terrain and not far to walk on this trip!  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJcERXHxpo&t=12s

Be fit & be well.
IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Woodhill Block 3 wander for some fallow with some fellows
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Cheers for posting. I had no idea that something like Woodhill Forest exist until now  Smiley Cool area but is it worth paying $160?

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 6:10am:
Cheers for posting. I had no idea that something like Woodhill Forest exist until now  Smiley Cool area but is it worth paying $160?

Not really but we keep applying anyway 😂
Big problem with having a fee that high is that you have to take meat home just to break even. Makes hunters inclined to shoot any buck they see.
Be better off letting hunters take more does.
The committee reckons that if they did that the herd would be extinct in no time, but I dont agree. The herd covers the area all the way down to Muriwai (about 50k) and there’s a lot of deer in there. The hunting blocks are just a very small portion of the area.
Still pretty cool to have a deer population like this beside a big city though.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
especially after theyve 1080ied all the coast to nil mammals and private lands will hold most of our quarry

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Chase and Gather NZ
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I think the hunting opportunities there serve a great purpose for people who are unlikely to intentionally plan a multi day hunting trip on to DOC land for example. People who may like to experience a glimpse of hunting (or the younger generation) would find this type of hunting appealing and encouraging in that they would see a few animals and they aren't having to slog up hills with heavy packs etc.

Given that it is so close to Auckland it's a winner for many people that like the proximity, at an hours drive you can park at the gate, walk 20minutes and you are hunting.

I think it serves its purpose for those who would like a 'warm' introduction to hunting but being a fairly easy hunt it doesn't tick everyone's boxes.

I don't apply for the ballot personally but as above - my mates were headed in and the freezer needed some filling.  Grin

Be fit & be well.
IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Yes very good point. I would probably give it a go couple years back when starting afresh Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards