Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Looking to get into bowhunting,Dunedin area (Read 473 times)
Moonshine Valley
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Looking to get into bowhunting,Dunedin area
Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hi All

I am experienced with rifle hunting, and shoot an animal or two every year. I am curious to see how bowhunting compares.

I am on the lookout for someone who can give me some instruction on shooting, some advice on hunting techniques and maybe let me tag along for a bow hunt.

If anyone could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Kevin Watson

Re: Looking to get into bowhunting,Dunedin area
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Grant at Allan Millar's is a keen bowhunter. He should be able topping you in the right direction.

IP Logged

Moonshine Valley
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that tip. Will try that avenue.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
advice and tuition from a reliable bow hunter is the only way to go, its too time consuming and frustrating going it alone, it will be frustrating regardless but well worth sticking at it, you will have ups and downs, i had 1 guy tell me he could easily have swapped his bow for a steak and cheese, but once you have your first big game animal you will be hooked for life, the adrenaline rush is addictive from being close to game let alone killing anything

IP Logged

Dreamsofstags
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

I hunt mainly by riffle but I also enjoy getting out with my bow.
When hunting tight bush (such as in the catlins or wainakarua) it's really very similar to when hunting with a riffle.
I've shot deer, sheep, goats, rabbits and possums. The main difference I've found between riffle and bow is ensuring that your shooting avenue is completely clear, no leaves/twigs etc and that once you've fired your arrow be really patient and wait 20 mins before following up.
I lost a good stag which I shot at around 2 m's by following up to soon. It had rested down to die only 50m's from where I had shot it but not giving it significant time it jumped up and ran off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards