Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Nifty boats\Motoyak\2 person inflatable kayaks (Read 1376 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Nifty boats\Motoyak\2 person inflatable kayaks
Aug 16th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
In a moment of insanity I have a desire to join the club of people who own things that float.  This is my use case:

When on holiday in Golden Bay I would like to paddle around with the kids.

I would like to be able to boat around high country lakes like Lake Sumner, ideally I would like to be able to carry a deer home in it.

Close inshore fishing.  It's hard to catch decent fish off the rocks so I would like to get past the wrass and spotties.

If I book a hunting block in Pattersons Inlet I would like to be able to transport myself from half moon bay to the hunting block and the use it for a bit of fishing.

At one end of this spectrum is a inflatable dingy from the warehouse.  The other end is a 200k alloy pontoon boat.  Nifty boats and motoyaks seem to sit right in the middle.

Does anyone own one of these?  Any feedback appreciated.  As far as I can tell it's an inflatable kayak that you can attach a motor to.

Also any feedback on a electric trolling motor vs a small outboard?  Electric seems more high tech and better for sneaking around and hunting.  There is the danger that you can't fight against the current but on the other hand it's better than paddling.  What would be less likely to cause me to die by drowning?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Nifty boats\Motoyak\2 person inflatable kayaks
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I don't own one but had a good look over the Nifty boat/canoe and my impression that without a motor of some sort it will be too hard to get around in less than idea conditions . Electric motor be awesome but cost and  ability to recharge while out in the field would be the biggest drawbacks that I see.
Rubber ducky with a 4 stroke outboard would be my pick.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I think i NEED one of these to go with my 4 other boats..  Grin Grin (you can never own enough boats) . I guess its another option on what you are considering ?

https://www.takacat.com/

I would put a petrol driven outboard, damn easy to fill the tank if you need more range.

You can drown in any size boat, its just the conditions you boat in...

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
My brother has a Smart Craft about 3.5 to 4m ish, Honda 4stroke 20hp uses it for exactly what you want it for bloody good little boat think he paid around 5k for it.

I'd get a petrol engine if it were me try and stick to the known brands for better parts availability and less trouble.
4 stroke is quieter and no mixing fuel which is great however 2 will be cheaper to purchase and a bit more noise.

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Ive got a 3.8m stabi dinghy with a 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke
which I boat around Pattersons Inlet for the past twenty years or more. So heres a few of my thoughts on what your mulling over.
I wouldn't touch anything from the warehouse or any of those yak thingies as they are just to light for some of the conditions you will find yourself in. RIB's are ok with a bit of reasonable conditions but prone to punctures, wind conditions and sharp knifes.
Also with a bit of slop passengers can bounce a bit.

So back to the alloy 3.8m.
Anything over 15knots of wind and it starts to get uncomfortable by way of spray showering into me or passengers. And as it happens if the wind really gets up it thumps the hell out of me and Im wet through and can be hard to see with the salt water in the eyes.
Its a great platform to fish off for two people any more and it gets a bit small.
It can carry up to about 5 deer.[whitetail] plus two persons.
I can just get it off the beach by myself using sticks and oars to skid it back into the tide.
Stabi's don't sink because of the pontoons providing heaps of flotation.
Heading into a strong head wind you need a bit of weight up near the bow as the nose comes up a bit.
Reasonably easy for divers to get in or out of.
Wont break the bank and reasonably good on fuel.
They are a solid wee boat and can take a bit of hard use.
As Salmoner said ''you can drown in any boat, its the conditions you boat in...''

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

beretta all the way

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I have a 3m naiad rib with a 30hp on the back
A little over powered but have had 4 guys on it at a pinch and it still planes which is good

The nifty boats have there place but a proper dinghy/ rib with outboard will be a far better option if youre planning on loading a deer into it

More than welcome to come for a spin in it once I get it back up from dunedin

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
shes a hard thing trying to find the perfect boat.......thats why ya need more than 1

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
beretta all the way wrote on Aug 19th, 2018 at 9:32pm:
I have a 3m naiad rib with a 30hp on the back
A little over powered but have had 4 guys on it at a pinch and it still planes which is good

The nifty boats have there place but a proper dinghy/ rib with outboard will be a far better option if youre planning on loading a deer into it

More than welcome to come for a spin in it once I get it back up from dunedin

I will take you up on that.  Give me a bell when you are up and I am sure we can also find something to shoot.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  I am going to scratch the pattersons inlet idea based on what .threeoeight said although I do wonder how the Kayak guys cope.  Presumably by checking the weather forecast and by paddling carefully close to shore.

I forgot an important use case that I think this is suited for but would like opinions.

I would like to be able to navigate Lake Ellesmere to get to my mai mai (wading for miles sucks).  I would also like a floating shooting platform.  I think there isn't anything that floats that would be comfortable on the lake in a real decent southerly but I would like something that works in calmish weather which we always have on opening day...  I have never done it but having the option of drift shooting rivers would be good as well.  People shoot out of Kayaks so I assume a nifty would be better (more stable).

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Hey ''Massive Attack'' didn't mean to put you off as there are days you could paddle a lilo across the inlet. But from flat calm to 50 knots of nor-west inside of an hour, isn't the time to be in a craft that's not up to the job.
There is a kayaks hire company here and Im just waiting on the first woopsie. Pray it doesn't happen but when people want to get somewhere bad they quite often make bad decisions...

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 5:58am
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:59pm:
Hey ''Massive Attack'' didn't mean to put you off as there are days you could paddle a lilo across the inlet. But from flat calm to 50 knots of nor-west inside of an hour, isn't the time to be in a craft that's not up to the job.
There is a kayaks hire company here and Im just waiting on the first woopsie. Pray it doesn't happen but when people want to get somewhere bad they quite often make bad decisions...

No prob, i understand what you are saying and it was the an advice i was after.

IP Logged

ripshitnbust
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
.308's suggestion of a 3.8M pontoon with a thirty is a good one, I have one too with a dodger and high sides. Light and easy to tow to the high country lakes , can fish safely at sea inshore provided swell/wind is minimal, easy to launch and good on fuel.

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 4:26am
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
Ive got a 3.8m stabi dinghy with a 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke
which I boat around Pattersons Inlet for the past twenty years or more. So heres a few of my thoughts on what your mulling over.
I wouldn't touch anything from the warehouse or any of those yak thingies as they are just to light for some of the conditions you will find yourself in. RIB's are ok with a bit of reasonable conditions but prone to punctures, wind conditions and sharp knifes.
Also with a bit of slop passengers can bounce a bit.

So back to the alloy 3.8m.
Anything over 15knots of wind and it starts to get uncomfortable by way of spray showering into me or passengers. And as it happens if the wind really gets up it thumps the hell out of me and Im wet through and can be hard to see with the salt water in the eyes.
Its a great platform to fish off for two people any more and it gets a bit small.
It can carry up to about 5 deer.[whitetail] plus two persons.
I can just get it off the beach by myself using sticks and oars to skid it back into the tide.
Stabi's don't sink because of the pontoons providing heaps of flotation.
Heading into a strong head wind you need a bit of weight up near the bow as the nose comes up a bit.
Reasonably easy for divers to get in or out of.
Wont break the bank and reasonably good on fuel.
They are a solid wee boat and can take a bit of hard use.
As Salmoner said ''you can drown in any boat, its the conditions you boat in...''

+1 This would be my pick as well. A mate has the same set up. These are a very safe stable set-up without being to big. If you go down this path keep an eye on the trailers they sell with the package as some have no springs ( which you need), Still not sure how they get a warrent Huh.

IP Logged

ripshitnbust
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Actually for you Massive, as a gearhead technohunter kind of feller (i mean this in a positive way, but I do actually curse you for being responsible for introducing me to massdrop, and although I'm not a regular purchaser -it's terrible click-bait) you should buy a small jet boat kitset and start beavering. Endless hours of fun and frustration covered in aluminium dust and plenty of brain workout techno-geek stuff to conquer plus spending endless amounts of money right up your alley and you thought learning to toot on a short reed goose call was fun............

IP Logged

tinass

Out there having a go
!

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
How about a blackdog cat ? Be very stable to shoot from.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards