Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mt Cook NP draft plan (Read 1271 times)
kiwishooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Mt Cook NP draft plan
Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
DOC are going to release the Mt Cook NP draft plan soon and they are proposing that the South Canterbury NZDA remove Tahr lodge and the Canterbury Mountaineering Club remove Wyn Erwin lodge from the National park.

Visitors to the park will have to park at the park boundary (Birch Hill, where they will create carparks)  From there visitors will have to, walk, bicycle or catch a ride on the bus service.

Privileged access will be allowed for those staying at the Hermitage and other hotels/accommodation in the Mt Cook village. I understand there are new hotels etc proposed for the village.

When the proposed plan is made public I am sure (hope) that all New Zealanders will make a submission to DOC regarding this.

It looks like DOC are proposing exclusive capture of Mt Cook NP for the tourists and they are proposing kicking New Zealanders out of the park.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Mt Cook NP draft plan
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I will be having a say on this if the above mentioned changes are proposed. When are DOC going to understand they manage OUR land and are funded by US, the New Zealand taxpayers.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Terrible. Most tourists will be locked out too. A playground for the wealthy.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
LOL - poor Jacinda. Just what she wants to deal with. Seems hard to believe they would actually propose it, even less likely it’ll happen, surely?

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Surely this is a leg pull???
But if not, someone needs to be called to account for dreaming up the most non- NZer friendly change to one of OUR national parks. WTF are they thinking???

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Nothing a public whipping wont fix.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:33pm:
Surely this is a leg pull???
But if not, someone needs to be called to account for dreaming up the most non- NZer friendly change to one of OUR national parks. WTF are they thinking???

Nope not a leg pull DOC had a meeting with the CMC and it was in a South Canterbury news paper recently.

If they get away with it with this NP they'll introduce the same or similar to other NP's

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:50pm:
Terrible. Most tourists will be locked out too. A playground for the wealthy.

I'll wait and see what the details in the plan are, but from what I gather it is about increasing and making it a great experience for the tourists...…...obviously at the expense of Kiwis.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
The vast majority of Tourists stay outside the Park in places such as Tekapo Twizel. A larger number stop off for a couple of hours walk up the Hooker Valley to the 1st Bridge, breaking the journey between Queenstown and Christchurch. Its not actually hurting much in the Park because its a 20 minute return walk soaking up the atmosphere of a truly magnificent alpine area on a wide well formed track, through sub alpine vegetation, that they do no leave. They are people that spend a lot of money here but dont want to stay a night at Mount Cook. I fear they would be either locked out or have to pay a fee to Drive the 5 km form the edge of the Park to the Hooker Valley Car Park. This would bring a huge amount of revenue.

That New Zealand owned club huts that have been there for a very long time, could be asked to leave, is Sacrlidge, Assuming there is some basis to this suggestion, whoever made it should get verbally kicked from Bluff to Cape Reinga.

Something like this might unite all interested parties, including hunters.. bring it on

As you say though until weve actually read  the Plan its all conjecture.   Smiley

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Announcements / proposals such is this plan cannot just come from DoC. I would bet the government caucus and Ardern are fully aware and intend to implement it if they can. New Zealand is being stolen from New Zealanders.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:33am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:17am:
The vast majority of Tourists stay outside the Park in places such as Tekapo Twizel. A larger number stop off for a couple of hours walk up the Hooker Valley to the 1st Bridge, breaking the journey between Queenstown and Christchurch. Its not actually hurting much in the Park because its a 20 minute return walk soaking up the atmosphere of a truly magnificent alpine area on a wide well formed track, through sub alpine vegetation, that they do no leave. They are people that spend a lot of money here but dont want to stay a night at Mount Cook. I fear they would be either locked out or have to pay a fee to Drive the 5 km form the edge of the Park to the Hooker Valley Car Park. This would bring a huge amount of revenue.

That New Zealand owned club huts that have been there for a very long time, could be asked to leave, is Sacrlidge, Assuming there is some basis to this suggestion, whoever made it should get verbally kicked from Bluff to Cape Reinga.

Something like this might unite all interested parties, including hunters.. bring it on

As you say though until weve actually read  the Plan its all conjecture.   Smiley

Headcase the vast majority might stay outside the park but there is still a lot staying at the camping ground inside the park which is causing some issues as spelt out in the link below.
To give you an idea as one person commented to me recently when they stayed at Tahr lodge, "I went for a walk and everywhere you went you could see where people had been leaving toilet paper and sh.t, the most disgusting place I had been in New Zealand"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/101226328/Aoraki-Mt-Cook-National-Par...

What I put in my first post is correct, which came from what Brent Swanson proposed at the meeting he had with the CMC

Here is a link to an article about the park and ride idea.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/105629764/park-and-ride-option-a-poss...

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Surely, the visitor numbers are a given, and bound to increase over time. Doesn't it  make sense to simply add more available toilet etc facilities; instead of using the existing problem as an excuse to lock people out? Something does stink here, and I think it boils down to a very wrong DoC mindset.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Gazcan

Yeah, nah....

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Won't happen.

The only problem with being perfect is that everyone else's imperfections really piss me off....

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I understand the problem. We have it round here too. More toilets on site is the answer. Just because you bus them in wont change the urge to toilet unexpectedly when taking a short hike....

Im having difficulty understanding why Brent would propose removing the huts.  Need more background on this..

Brent is big bloke. I take that back about a verbal kicking.  Grin

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Have your say on an application by the New Zealand Alpine Club to occupy the land in Mount Cook National Park upon which Unwin Lodge sits. Submissions close 7 September 2018.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2018/applic...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards