Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic becoming a bush hobbit (Read 1700 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

becoming a bush hobbit
Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Last weekend a friend invited me out to a spot of his in south Canterbury. Its bush covered rolling hill country flanked by forestry blocks. Much different to the normal alpine hunting I do! Friday arvo saw us heading up a manuka covered ridge to a camp site he has next to a spring for water. We went for an evening reccy walking along the track while my mate pointed out various gully's where he'd seen/shot deer and other points of interest. He knows this area like the back of his hand luckily as I didn't have a clue where we were. Nothing was seen but there was obviously a healthy population of deer judging by the sign and we did hear a few wild sheep down on one thick bush face.

The next morning wasn't an early one and we had a leisurely breakfast before heading up the ridge to check out a couple of gully's that usually hold deer. I wasn't feeling too hopeful with it being almost mid day not to mention I'm noisy as hell in the bush being 100kg and wearing full shanked heavy boots. We dropped off the side of the track and into some thick regen that opened out a bit further down. About 200m down the sign was getting fresher and fresher before we heard something crash down the hill out of a patch of native nettle. I thought it was long gone but after going around the nettle as carefully and slowly as I could I caught a glimpse of a deer trotting across the face below me and very luckily stopped where I had a window of visibility. It wasn't the best angle but I managed to drop it with a spine shot. I yet out a big yahoo not quite believing my luck. Not surprisingly it was a silly yearling.

After taking our time butchering and letting the meat cool down we decided to continue on our intended route which was to drop down this gully, sidle across and back up the next one over. We got about 50m further down the hill when a deer barked out to our left in a patch of regen. I started creeping back up the hill where id have a better view before I heard a BOOM behind me and saw a deer rolling down the hill right next to my mate. The deer had seen me and almost run straight into my mate! It was almost certainly the hind from the yearling id shot an hour earlier. We now had quite a large load of meat so with heavy packs we slogged it straight back up the hill and back to camp by 4pm for a beer. Now that's what I call gentlemen's hunting! The next morning we packed up and made the easy walk downhill back to truck and home.

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:38am by headcase »  

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Re: becoming a bush hobbit
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 11:27am
Print Post  
my man,,glad youre getting out there

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Cheers mate. Bit easier than carrying one out from the Karangarua  Cheesy

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Easy ones make up for all the slogs.
Well done.
And good on your mate for sharing such a primo spot.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
great stuff,you will be buying a pair of ashleys to replace them heavy noisy clodhoppers in no time Grin Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
brilliant great result.  Smiley

Dont forget if you want me to put up some pics for you send them to me. Never got the last lot..

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Doesn't a photo make a difference to a post. Thanks for sending me that pic. I have another solution for everyone which Ill be posting up soon using the image storage that Hairy used for his recent post. its free and easy and works.. coming soon..  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:41am:
Doesn't a photo make a difference to a post. Thanks for sending me that pic. I have another solution for everyone which Ill be posting up soon using the image storage that Hairy used for his recent post. its free and easy and works.. coming soon.. Smiley

Thanks for that mate, did the others arrive? Maybe Im trying to send too many at once. An easier way to upload photos will be brilliant

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Go to the link jsut below and register.

https://imgbb.com/

After registration you will land on a page that has a ''Start uploading"" button. 

Click that and choose the image you want from your computer. The image will appear as a thumbnail and if you hover the mouse over the thumbnail it will give you the option to edit it. Click edit and use the resize option to set the size at 800x600. This will cut most of the huge data packets our modern cameras store for a single photo down to a fast loading size for the forum yet retain a big enough size to see detail.

Press the upload button again.

When youve uploaded a pic a drop down box underneath the pic says

"Embed codes"

Click the arrow that gives you the choice of which code you want to use for your photo. Pick the

''BBCode full""  choice and click the copy button. Paste that into your post where you want it..

Everyone should be using this website to store and post pics. Its better than photobucket and it gives a better picture quality than the forums 'Image hut" Its also appears to be free and ad free and its fast, simple and works.

Always store your original images on your computer or a stick or whatever.

Just sign up and use it..

Make the Forum great again.  Grin

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Great report, Have to agree with Headcase, Pics make the report. By great if we could see more reports posted and I think the reason we dont see as many as we used to is because it became too hard after photobucket changed.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Nice wee eater mate,enjoy the veni. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
Great report, Have to agree with Headcase, Pics make the report. By great if we could see more reports posted and I think the reason we dont see as many as we used to is because it became too hard after photobucket changed.

https://imgbb.com/ ; does the same thing as photobucket and does it better. Faster, better quality, add free compared to photobucket.. Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:12pm:
Rumpy wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:00pm:

https://imgbb.com/ does the same thing as photobucket and does it better. Faster, better quality, add free compared to photobucket.. Smiley

clicked on n comes up no can go Grin

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Just click on the logo at the top of the page.that appears.  It works..but there must have been something wrong with the actual link I posted. Not  the actual website it self.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
https://imgbb.com

Just knocked the / off the end of the url Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards