Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Carrying rifle along riverbed/marginal strips (Read 1083 times)
Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Carrying rifle along riverbed/marginal strips
Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I am in search for new hunting grounds and couple of times I found places with no direct access from road other than riverbed which is not showing as public conservation area - so called DOC land but is rather Crown-owned and therefore theoretically accessible...

So have been looking through the web and found this:

https://walkingaccess.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/NZWACFactsheet1Walkingaccessintheou
tdoors-1.pdf

After reading through I am still bit confused so wandering if there is any simple answer to this? Seems than marginal strip (river wider than 3 meters has marginal strip) is freely accessible by public and therefore I can carry firearm through it to land covering my DOC permit. Is this assumption correct?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Carrying rifle along riverbed/marginal strips
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
yes but technicaly no.  what is mapped on wams is it and it dosent move with rivers, over the years they change course etc and some rivers I know the mapped area on wams has it about 300m off for 6km of riverbed due to survey error, I queried this and legaly I couldnt access riverbed but could walk through the station.

some private landowners are understanding and wouldnt care if the map was out and others will have a meltdown and call the pigs.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Cheers, GH.

I had a feeling that it might be actually bit of a grey zone...  Huh

Wander how many people actually bother to check or ask...  Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Walking Access Commission
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone,

There's some more detailed information about marginal strips on our website if you click on Walkways and Access, then Frequently Asked Questions, then Access along rivers, lakes and the coast (sorry, I can't post the URL here as the forum rules won't let me post links until I've made at least 5 posts).

Not all rivers wider than 3m will have a marginal strip (and some that do may not have it on both banks). Using WAMS is a great way to find which rivers have public access along their banks.

If you have specific questions about a specific place, the Walking Access Commission has a team of Regional Field Advisors who can help you. Their contact details are on our website too - click About Us then Regional Field Advisors.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Brave move telling us that!
You’re going to get swamped👍😂
Cheers

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
gonehunting....does that method of attracting feral porkers work in all places ????? never seen a cockie standing out in a paddock going "here piggy piggy piggy" to attract game before but I guess there is a first for everything Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Walking Access Commission wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 4:50pm:
Hi everyone,

There's some more detailed information about marginal strips on our website if you click on Walkways and Access, then Frequently Asked Questions, then Access along rivers, lakes and the coast (sorry, I can't post the URL here as the forum rules won't let me post links until I've made at least 5 posts).

Not all rivers wider than 3m will have a marginal strip (and some that do may not have it on both banks). Using WAMS is a great way to find which rivers have public access along their banks.

If you have specific questions about a specific place, the Walking Access Commission has a team of Regional Field Advisors who can help you. Their contact details are on our website too - click About Us then Regional Field Advisors.

Cheers for that. Couldn't wished for better answer  Smiley Cool

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 6:47pm:
gonehunting....does that method of attracting feral porkers work in all places ????? never seen a cockie standing out in a paddock going "here piggy piggy piggy" to attract game before but I guess there is a first for everything Roll Eyes

only works in places 1 could be accused of poaching/tresspass. an irrate cocky and a hunter with a firearm would be an extremely effective lure  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards