Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic South westland wander (Read 920 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

South westland wander
Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
I'm on a mission to explore all the west coast valleys and had decided the mighty Karangarua was next. The forecast was looking good up until about 5 days out then got progressively worse to the point I wasn't sure if I should bother but I hadn't been on a decent trip since the roar and had been fizzing for this one for weeks so Tuesday after work I threw my gear in the truck and headed over the pass arriving at the bridge at 11pm.

After a kip in the truck I was off up the track by 6am. The walk in was uneventful apart from a deer crashing off the side of the track and barking at me. I dropped my pack and went for a walk up a couple of side creeks for a cham but nothing was seen. I arrived at the empty hut about 4pm (thanks the guys who left a rotten headless possum right outside the front) and had a read of the hut book. Sounded like the choppers had been working the flats pretty hard with a previous party reporting finding a pile of 20 gut bags but I guess its better they're utilized before the impending 1080 drop. I went for a quick walk around the flats but nothing was seen.

I knew next day was the only clear day so I was up early for another fruitless wander around the flats before breakfast then headed upstream to tui faces. I soon spotted a few tahr on the sheer rock faces and probably spent too much time enjoying the sun watching them doing their thing. I headed up the tui creek spooking a cham with no time to assess it let alone a shot. Further up it became more and more difficult to navigate with gorges and house sized boulders to get around. With no sign of the tops ahead and cloud rolling in I conceded defeat and got back to the valley floor around 4pm. There wasn't any use heading back to the hut at that time so I spent the next hour glassing tahr between cloud patches. I spotted a bull which I ranged at 650m but that's outside of my capabilities and I doubt I could have recovered it.

Just on dark I started creeping back to the hut. Poking my head over a bank on to a flat sure enough in the gloomy half light there was a deer head down feeding 50m away. I rested the .270 on the edge of the bank and waited awhile for her to turn side on before dropping her with a shot to the neck. I hate wasting meat so boned out everything I could (which later weighed 16kg at home) and made the short walk back to the hut in the dark. I woke up to heavy rain on the hut roof and knew the forecast was only to get worse so I quickly packed up and headed out while I still could. Mctaggets was rising but I managed to get across safely. Boy I was happy to see the truck after that slog!

I have some photos but photobucket makes my computer crash and does my head in. Happy to email them to someone if they want to post them

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Re: South westland wander
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
At least you bagged one for that looong drive Smiley And I though that driving 500km for a hunt is bit much...

In your own experience, are those long drives to West Coast worth it? Canterbury spots sometimes seems flooded with hunters...

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
At least you bagged one for that looong drive Smiley And I though that driving 500km for a hunt is bit much...

In your own experience, are those long drives to West Coast worth it? Canterbury spots sometimes seems flooded with hunters...

Purely for the hunting no it wouldn't be worth it. I have spots on the east coast where there are better animal numbers but for the experience its definitely worth it. Something about south westland keeps me coming back for more  Smiley

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Kaboomfa wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
Pete82 wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 12:27pm:

Purely for the hunting no it wouldn't be worth it. I have spots on the east coast where there are better animal numbers but for the experience its definitely worth it. Something about south westland keeps me coming back for more  Smiley

+1
goodeffort Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Email them to me and Ill put them up for you.. Have pmd you..  Cool

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Nice work  Cool Cool

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
outdoorlad wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
Nice work  Cool Cool

McTaggarts is a bastard. I am surprised it has not killed someone.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards