Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What do you consider the minimum equipment? (Read 516 times)
50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

What do you consider the minimum equipment?
Aug 4th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
What do you consider is the minimum equipment you need to positively develop the perfect load for you need?

Obvious stuff is press, load data, knowledge etc. How about radar, ballistic gel for terminal ballistic experimentation, knowledge of target physiology, climatic considerations, projectile performance design parameters.....

lets see what is out there?

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Re: What do you consider the minimum equipment?
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
its a long road to find the perfect...... depending what you are shooting and where etc. you might not need to be reloading at all. if your only hunting in the bush then you will only be shooting less than 100m. and the kill zone is say 30cm. even a really poxy rusty bent barreled pistol calibre will work and hence no need to reload. other end of the scale is shooting to 1000m in anything from sea level to alpine in all weather and wanting to hit the same 30cm kill zone and dont mind deminishing returns for time and monetary costchasing micro accuracy then that is almost infinite. very vague question really. much less your own ability to even shoot to your expectations

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
whackamole LEE set with powder primers and projectiles..... Wink

IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
awaterelad wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:51pm:
its a long road to find the perfect...... depending what you are shooting and where etc. you might not need to be reloading at all. if your only hunting in the bush then you will only be shooting less than 100m. and the kill zone is say 30cm. even a really poxy rusty bent barreled pistol calibre will work and hence no need to reload. other end of the scale is shooting to 1000m in anything from sea level to alpine in all weather and wanting to hit the same 30cm kill zone and dont mind deminishing returns for time and monetary costchasing micro accuracy then that is almost infinite. very vague question really. much less your own ability to even shoot to your expectations

And yet look at the fact-filled response... Discussion under way it seems

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
For me - it's an old Atlas lathe to make up bits and pieces for loading (primer seater, case mouth spreader, crimper), some cases of course, primers, a mould and scrap lead to cast into bullets. Then there's some beeswax and mutton tallow for lube cookies, a homemade wad punch and the will to spend endless hours trying to get the bastard thing to shoot.
Couple that with some homemade blackpowder, some invoice paper to wrap the bullets, a sizer die (spun out of an old aluminium bronze prop shaft and the neighbours old telephone books for bullet performance tests - or 20 liter square plastic oil containers filled with water and stacked one behind the other.

Some people do all their loading with a wood dowel, but to me - that's not very scientific.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards