Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crabbing (Read 207 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Crabbing
Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Hi, I am not much of a fisherman but always keen to eat wild caught food in the place I catch it.  I have a trip to Stewart Island each spring and was wondering if anyone had any success catching crabs off rocks (the salt water type, not the pubic hair ones)?  Is it as simple as lowering a baited hook or crab pot into a rock pool?  Any tips greatly appreciated.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Crabbing
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Weve caught loads of paddle crabs by using small round wire pots baited with fish.
Set them over sandy beaches but not in to deep.Leave for a few hours. But youll need a dinghy etc to do this.
Another way was to drift over areas of sand at night with a spotlight and spear them with the added bonus of flounder.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards