Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Man I wish they were all this easy..... (Read 1241 times)
Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Man I wish they were all this easy.....
Aug 1st, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
For those of you that donít know, in this district we grow a lot of potatoís. Paddocks and paddocks of them in fact.
This wee hunt started a couple of weeks ago when a fellow forum member that I often hunt with contacted me to let me know that a bloke he knows was having trouble nailing some pigs that were turning up uninvited in a potato crop.
It wouldnít normally be any trouble to shoot a couple but these cunning beggars were waiting till after dark to wreak havoc on the spuds.
So the wife and I finish work early one day, load the dogs up and head over to see what we can do.
We get to the end of the gravel road, wifey decides that a crossword puzzle is more interesting than blood and guts so stays in the ute.
My mate and I go for a wander up the hill to where another guy is waiting for the pigs with his rifle.
Sure enough, it gets too dark to shoot, so we quietly make our way down a fence line, with a nice breeze blowing out of the scrubby gully where we reckon the pigs are coming from.
We put my good holding dog Puddie over the fence so he can be 1st to the pigs, and we keep my bailer dog Tye and my mates hard little heeler/staffie bitch Juno in the paddock, just in case.
Not 5 minutes later we spot the outline of what looks to me like a nice young porker moving out of the gully and into the paddock.
Tye starts moving off ahead of me like heís supposed to, but hasnít got a smell of it yet.
Pig gets suspicious and knows somethings up, so freezes in the paddock while Tye is still working his way down the fence.
I have a look at the tracker and Puddie has gone off down the gully hunting.
Then all of a sudden Tye gets a nose full of scent, scoots out into the paddock and the chase is on!
He gets the Pig bailed up by a hedge and Juno goes flying past me (for a little dog sheís incredibly fast).
Then my mate overtakes me just as his dog grabs the pig.
Pig manages to get free, runs through a gateway and bolts for the scrubby gully, (heís not too keen on being near mashed potatoes 😂).
Iím yelling for Puddie to hurry up.
Pig only gets about 30 metres before Juno reattaches herself to the pigs arse and sits it down.
About this time my mate decides heís not going to sit back and watch his dog get hurt, so goes in to help his fierce little warrior.
Pig spins around, takes one look at my mate and charges him.
Mate grabs the pig by the ears.
Pig bites his hand.
I keep yelling for Puddie to hurry up and help.
Mate loses patience and sticks the pig.
I still yell for Puddie to hurry up!
Pig dies.
Puddie finally turns up (I forgot he canít get through fences 😧).
We carry the pig (boar about 70-80 pounds) the short walk back to the ute.
My wife had heard the barking and was stoked we got one 😊
And itís still only 6PM Friday!

http://images.fishnhunt.co.nz/images/Maddoghunter/potatoboar.jpg

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Man I wish they were all this easy.....
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Haha, Nicely written Maddog, Making it look easy alright, although your mate getting bitten doesn't sound like fun.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
all part n parcel of pigdog hunting

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Jdub

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I wasn't bitten.
When I went to stick it, as there were no dogs hanging off the ears as usual, the pig managed one last effort to hook something and it hooked my hand.. nothing serious but should leave me with a little scar to tell a story.... Hopefully..
Also would like to note my Staffy/heeler is only 18 kgs and up untill now we were unsure weather she would stop a pig by herself as she's only a back up dog and has only ever held along side a 35 kg bully X... Maddogs puddie
She certainly answered that question, she was holding it and wasn't letting go but then when she realised the pig starting hurting her a bit she went straight for it's ass.... Good dog

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
what a scream of a time.....you take the easy ones when they come along,nearly makes up for the gut busters.right Im off to consume some cold roast pork an old mate of mine shot while I was at work and left it WAAAAY up a hill for me to retrieve  Wink

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Cool story, thanks for posting!  Cool

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Nice one.
Chur

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards