Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic KNK chainsaws (Read 605 times)
Kezza
Donor Member

See It, Shoot It, Eat
It

KNK chainsaws
Aug 1st, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Have seen a few of these popping up on TradeMe.

Has anyone them before?

I'm in the market for a new saw purely for firewood and can't stretch the market for a Husky or Stihl currently having just bought a house and a $400 TradeMe deal gone wrong...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/garden-power-t...

If it is there, It's there to be climbed !

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: KNK chainsaws
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I wouldnīt waste 219 dollars on something that could stop functioning whenever/where ever.....

The chinese saws Iīve seen seems to be overcubiced and overhorsepowered in the specifications, some of them are also overbared as a result of the inaccurate specs - the chosen bar/chain combo is powered by a too small/inefficient motor.

In my experience "purely for firewood" means a hard life for the chainsaw, harder than felling trees.

I have no good advice what to buy instead, a used old Husky 55 would be my choice but itīs more in the neighbourhood of the 400 dollars that you donīt want to pay......

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:28am
Print Post  
1st saw I purchashed was a 200 dollar tm job. there was very little vibration dampening so a few hours took days to recover from. The bars are shite and wear very quikly and a decent new one costs half the saw price.  the oilers arent the greatest.

But the cheap shitter cut me just short of 100m2 of wood over 2 years and by then I could afford a big husky.

Imo just wait and save as they can crap out 2hrs or 200hrs from new.  200 bux can get you a hire saw for 3 days that would be a better option untill you can get a descent saw

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
I bought a Poulan some 10-12 years back as a first saw and still have it works well, done a lot of firewood/work over the years.
Pritty sure they have a tie up with Husqvarna so for a sub $300 (from memory) they good value for $ IMO.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Chinese chainsaws are pot luck. As others have said could last 2-200 hours Huh
But whatever, the moment you purchase it, its worth $10. Thats all. Noone will pay you for one second hand.
Better off if you can't go for a top brand, is the second tier saw: Poulan, Echo, Jonsered etc.

Professional saws may look expensive, but they will often do 9-11 months of 10 hour days, 5 days a week before they get a new piston and barrel and get put to one side  as the spare saw by a logger. Means they will easily last your lifetime, even when used frequently.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Yep!, from my experience with two of them, cheap crap. I gave one to a mate, he had a lot of carb. trouble with it and biffed it. You get what you pay for, buy once,cry once.
We have a little Stihl  012 that was purchased when we first bought the block over 30 years ago, been superseded many times since then, but currently trucking along ok, with very little use these days. All our saws, have been kept in hard plastic cases, protects from damage.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
No. Don't waste your money.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
4 saws in my garage...alll stihls and all still work...2 of them over 30 years old.
makita is another mid range saw that me old mate swears by more than he swears at.
go buy a cheap saw from local retailer if you must go really cheap,at least that way you can take it back without hassle if and when it craps out.....a low end stihl or husky wont cost you much more than your crappymoto jobbie  Smiley Wink shite did I just suggest a husky???? must be mellowing with age Angry

IP Logged

woody308
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Save your money and buy the best you can afford.Have used many brands of saw over 40 yrs. The top regarded brands tend to be Stihl and Husqvarna. Currently own two smaller saws for personal use, both Stihl, a 028S and 023.Both about 33 yrs old.The 023 has done a shit load of work and still going strong. Maintain regularly and use quality bars,chain, oil and a saw will last you well.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Buy quality and do the best thing for them...maintenance. How many people dont even know how to do this. See the townies on the forestry lots off the road with the saw if it starts, revving like hell as the rakers have not been done .

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Rugersst wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:39am:
I bought a Poulan some 10-12 years back as a first saw and still have it works well, done a lot of firewood/work over the years.
Pritty sure they have a tie up with Husqvarna so for a sub $300 (from memory) they good value for $ IMO.

mate had a poulan for yrs its still going well

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

HeadHunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Its pretty much been said, but i brought one, "once" biggest problem i had was the lack of rubber mounts for anti vibration. It made any real length of time on it very uncomfortable.

If you do decide on one i'd make sure you get one with some anti vibration.

IP Logged

HeadHunter
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 9:59pm:
Buy quality and do the best thing for them...maintenance. How many people dont even know how to do this. See the townies on the forestry lots off the road with the saw if it starts, revving like hell as the rakers have not been done .

Agreed, had a mate buy one once, he said it wasnt cutting that well could i show him how to sharpen it. He brought it round......chain was on backwards.... Shocked

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Just forget about that Chinese crap and buy Stihl. Brand new MS180 will cost you $425 and I bet it will still be in your workshop 10 years later. Second-hand one is on TradeME right now for $250. I don't think that usual user needs a lot bigger saw than that. Its easy to handle, light and still has a lot of grunt.

All what second-hand ones usually need is good cleanup, new filter and spark plug, maybe tank rinse or some bushes. Buy new bar and set of chains and you are good to go for couple years!

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Another thing to consider: If/when the chinese cheapie is broken, are spare parts easily available ?

My friends old Husqvarna 154 is running again, I have changed diaphragms and needles in the carburator, air/fuel filter, chain-sprocket, sparkplug and recoil-spring/pull-cord (and cleaned the hell out of it).

The big difference between that old geeser and a comparable new Husky is that it vibrates a lot more, itīs heavier and it doesnīt have a spot of paint left on the body Wink

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards