Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bullets for Wapiti (Read 955 times)
Aaron B
Forum Senior

Bullets for Wapiti
Aug 1st, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I'm heading to Colorado to hunt Elk in Oct, question for you Wapiti hunters, what bullet types have you been using successfully?

I'm feeling a little out gunned with my .308 win. I'd like to use factory ammo, would a plain old bonded 165gn be sweet? 150gn?

I'm still used to my 3100fps 7mm WSM when such considerations were not necessary.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bullets for Wapiti
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Check out this video by Randy Newberg, he hunts a lot of elk with 7/08 etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_byQ5MoUBU

also this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfd3XkHDaDA

and this one on bullet selection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmA-6VsRZQ

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I think it said in one of the Lentle and Saxton books that elk are easier to kill than reds, so I would expect whatever works on red stags would be okay. I'd probably go to the heavier end myself, 160-180gr. The Hornady website has all the projectiles in classes like target, varmint, whitetail, elk so you can quickly see what 308 ones would be suitable.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Thanks guys. The ammo makers recommendations are what have me stumped a little. They typically don't recommend much of anything in .308 for Elk, unless it's some "premium ammo" @ $50 USD a box, bear in mind most ammo is more like $20 a box here.

The Federal Fusion is reasonably priced bonded bullet and they do a 165gn, I think i'll use those.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Aaron B wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 6:20am:
Thanks guys. The ammo makers recommendations are what have me stumped a little. They typically don't recommend much of anything in .308 for Elk, unless it's some "premium ammo" @ $50 USD a box, bear in mind most ammo is more like $20 a box here.

The Federal Fusion is reasonably priced bonded bullet and they do a 165gn, I think i'll use those.

The Fusion is a damned good bullet. They penetrate well and in my rifles have shot well too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
How much is the tag for an Elk? $50 for a box is pretty small change compared to a wounded and lost elk. The american elk are bigger and tougher than a big red stag.

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Aaron, the 165gr fusion will work.  I killed elk with my 308 using 165gr Hornady interlocks.  The elk I killed were smaller Bulls, spikes...  Big bulls are tough and often show no sign of being hit even when fatally hit.  Shot placement is key and follow up a must even if the elk showed no sign of being hit....

There is a rule that most elk hunters here follow...if the elk is still on his feet keep shooting!   Good luck on your hunt!

Zee

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I reckon you'll be fine with a .308 with good shot placement and a good bullet.  I shot one with my bow Smiley

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Can't remember the old fella who used to run the water taxi in Te Anau but I remember him telling us he only ever used to use a .243

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:29pm:
Can't remember the old fella who used to run the water taxi in Te Anau but I remember him telling us he only ever used to use a .243

American wapiti are a bigger animal than an NZ wapiti.

IP Logged

wapiti man

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Waps are much bigger bodied in US.
Your 308 with 165's should be fine, as others said, bullet placement the key. And sometimes with a clean chest shot they show no indication of being hit and you put another shot into animal to find two well placed holes inches apart on the shoulder.
7/10ths water taxi man be Vern and likely that's all he used in later years, with success too.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 4:49am
Print Post  
stug wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:09am:
How much is the tag for an Elk? $50 for a box is pretty small change compared to a wounded and lost elk. The american elk are bigger and tougher than a big red stag.

The out of state elk tag is around $650 US. Pretty damn steep. I'm still trying to find a buddy to go with otherwise it might be a camera hunt. I'm going to drive if i'm "actually hunting", for various reasons, and I don't want to drive 21 hours each way on my own through the night etc.

Camera hunt - I can fly inexpensively both ways. No tags, no season dates far fewer hassles. Almost as much fun

Thanks everybody

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
moose are a bigger animal again an plenty are accounted for in scandanavia with 6.5x55 using 140gr pills, 308 will be fine, also if you dont practice and hit where you aim at any and all reasonable distances calibre wont come into the debate

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards