Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Does fishing ever break even or save money on food? (Read 363 times)
elliotpower
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Does fishing ever break even or save money on food?
Jul 30th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I'm always looking to save a bit of money, from growing veg at home, to walking instead of driving, to buying second hand gear online.

Was wondering if fishing you ever come out on top after buying gear, bait and the transport costs.

I swear every time I go fishing, I spend $20-30 on bait between the two of us, lose a sinker, hook or two and come away with $20 worth of fish you could buy from Pak n Save.

IP Logged

GCjetski
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Does fishing ever break even or save money on food?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I think if you are doing it to save money you'll want to have a reliable spot that you fish, learn the spot, learn what works and just keep repeating. With the price of fish in the supermarket, a limit of 7 snapper when filleted would be in the hundred of dollars realm.

For most people I think the fresh fish is just a bonus, the activity itself is by far worth the costs incurred.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
You are much better to look at fishing as a hobby. I can't see getting a net return is possible. You might have one great day and catch a heap then the next few times you get 9 10ths of feek all.

Bait, burly, and travel costs.Then gear costs and fuel on top of that if you have a boat to run. It's a spendy business to get off the coast, and if your land based there are a heap of people all chucking a line and/or 25 hooks on the Kontikis. In summer I drive along one of the local beaches and there is someone with a Kontiki every 400m for Kms along the beach.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I think if you use soft bait and jigs from a kayak you have a chance of coming out even or possibly slightly ahead if you regularly catch fish, don't have to drive too far and your kayak lasts for the long term.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 6:33am
Print Post  
You could try catching your own bait.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:12am
Print Post  
meathunter72 wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 6:33am:

Plus 1 to that.

I have always hunted and fished as a means of feeding my family and also as an income.
I believe food gathering was one of the basics of life and out of necessity we learned how to become better at obtaining it.

Like hunting, fishing has evolved with amazing technology that certainly can cost the users heaps of $$  but you can still source food without much of it.   Of course this is dictated by your location, like the Maori did in long ago days they based themselves at food sources  as they became available.

I  have been lucky to grow up in an area that produces food resources all year round both on land and in the sea. I honestly believe/know that I have been able to feed my family with fresh high quality food that I would never have been able to afford from the shop.

I see many fisherman head out in wonderful boats with the best of gear and struggle to get fish, never mind their legal limit, where others can go out, get their limit and be home in an hour or so.

Personally I think you should just enjoy the recreational aspect of fishing, not get hoodwinked into buying the latest of gear etc, after all it is still a simple string and hook with something on it to attract and catch your feed, lol

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I am not much of a fisherman but hunting is the most expensive way to get ducks and deer by far.  If you just wanted some venison or duck breasts then go buy some from the supermarket.  What we do is a recreational and cultural activity with a side benefit of food gathering.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:12am:
meathunter72 wrote on Jul 31st, 2018 at 6:33am:

Plus 1 to that.

I have always hunted and fished as a means of feeding my family and also as an income.
I believe food gathering was one of the basics of life and out of necessity we learned how to become better at obtaining it.

Like hunting, fishing has evolved with amazing technology that certainly can cost the users heaps of $$  but you can still source food without much of it.   Of course this is dictated by your location, like the Maori did in long ago days they based themselves at food sources  as they became available.

I  have been lucky to grow up in an area that produces food resources all year round both on land and in the sea. I honestly believe/know that I have been able to feed my family with fresh high quality food that I would never have been able to afford from the shop.

I see many fisherman head out in wonderful boats with the best of gear and struggle to get fish, never mind their legal limit, where others can go out, get their limit and be home in an hour or so.

Personally I think you should just enjoy the recreational aspect of fishing, not get hoodwinked into buying the latest of gear etc, after all it is still a simple string and hook with something on it to attract and catch your feed, lol

Its called "all the gear and no idea"  Grin

IP Logged

Gerald
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Fishing has never been a cheap hobby. If the truth is not an amateur thing. Guys rightly say, enjoy fishing, and do not think about how much money you spend on bait. I also started with the usual bait, using a good overview https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-bass-lures/ . I think that your question can be solved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards